Form Submission Exports - Progressive Fields

Regular Contributor

Is there a way to include the "skipped" data from progressive form fields in the form submission export files?

Use case example:

We report on the number of form submissions by customer type, which is a custom drop-down property that we use in HubSpot.

If a contact has already told us that their customer type is "Business" on a previous form submission they're not asked that question again because we're using progressive fields.

The problem we run into is that in the form submission data export the customer type field is blank for contacts who weren't shown that field because the property was already known in HubSpot. 

Now, when we're looking in the exported file and want to get a count of submissions by customer type, the data is incomplete.

Is there a way, other than asking for customer type on every form, to get that information into the exported spreadsheet?

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
Advisor | Platinum Partner

Hi @ericacowan ,

The export list have options to export all properties in HubSpot. If value os this property is blank in HubSpot, the extraction will have blank value too.

I believe there is no possibility that a known HubSpot property will be exported blank in the spreadsheet

About updating contacts in bulk. You can do this by importing a worksheet with the value in the column corresponding to the property you want to update, or you can even create a workflow to change properties based on the contacts engaged in that workflow.

It depends on whether there is a way for you to identify the customer type of your contacts based on their stock / quote on HubSpot.

Another possible solution is to offer a content type, such as an eBook or Webinar, or some other action that may be of general interest by "forcing" them to fill out a new form.

Please, if this content is what you are looking for, mark it as a solution.

Best regards!

Regular Contributor

Hi @DanielSanchez,

Thanks for your reply.

For this scenario, I am not exporting lists of contacts. I am exporting form submissions.

11-27-2019 8-16-38 AM.jpg

The contact records are capturing the data fine... but I need the individual form submission data. 

i.e.

John Smith fills out a form with email, first name, last name, customer type. His contact record is updated with all of those properties.

John comes back a few days later to fill out the form again, and since the customer type field is progressive, it's not shown to him again - so he only has to complete email, first name, last name.

In the form export csv file, it would show:

11-27-2019 8-30-04 AM.jpg

I am tracking the number of each form submissions by customer type. So when this field is blank, my count is incorrect. 

0 Upvotes

Hi @ericacowan 

So since the value is progressive and not filled, it does not drop when you export submissions. Right?

In this case u can create one list based in this form submission, and after create this active list, u can export this list, and will get all properties of this contact, not only what he filled in.

As I understand it, I believe this may be the solution.  Smiley Happy

Please, if this content is what you are looking for, mark it as a solution.

Best regards!

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

No, this is not the solution. 

I am not counting contacts, I'm counting form submissions.

0 Upvotes

Hi @ericacowan 

I see no other way but to make this "customer type" field mandatory on the form and no progressive option.

You can use the pre-populated option for known fields in HubSpot.

pre-populate-contacts.PNG

I hope I can help you.

Regards
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@DanielSanchez, that's what I'm thinking also. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

We switched the field on our forms last week to remove the progressive functionality and the data set is how I need it to be, so it looks like we'll have to keep it that way. 

Pre-populated forms would be great if you could select specific fields instead of "all or nothing." Fields like "How will you be using this material?" or "How can we help you?" become confusing if they're pre-populated with an answer from a previous, un-related submission. But, there are plenty of other threads suggesting that idea.