Lead Capture Tools

KaKaRoT
Contributor

Form Not Updating Contact Records

SOLVE

Hi All,

I have used a form on one of the landing pages and when I try to submit my own details form is not updating the contact records. 

The contact record details I have in HubSpot has first & last name as Test & Test respectively. However, when I submit the form when other names it is not updating the contact records, despite using the same email address which is available in the record.

Can anyone please help me with this real quick?

Thanks in advance!

0 Upvotes
3 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KaKaRoT,

First off, if you need a quick resolution, I'd recommend working with HubSpot support (purple help widget in the lower right corner of the HubSpot app or question mark symbol in the menu bar). They can immediately access your portal and check what's going on.

Could you send a screenshot of the form (screenshot taken in the forms editor) used on the landing page?

When you navigate to the form in HubSpot (Menu > Marketing > Lead capture > Forms > click on form), you should see a tab Submissions. Do all submissions show up here? Is there an error message on one of the form submissions? (Hover over it, then click View submission. An error message would show up here.)

On the contact record belonging to the email address, do both submissions show up?

Lastly, sometimes an integration immediately changes back the value of a First name and Last name field. For example, a Salesforce integration can be set up to always prefer the Salesforce value. In that case, it would seem as if it wasn't updated correctly by the form submission. What happens however is that it changes back to the previous value immediately. You can check this by navigating to a contact record, hovering your mouse over the First name field and clicking Details. The right sidebar should pop open with a change history. If an app changes the values, it would show up here.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KaKaRoT,

If the Salesforce integration is making this change, you would have to review the settings under Settings > Integrations > Connected apps > Salesforce > Contacts. In the integration settings, you can specify whether the integration should prefer HubSpot information (e.g. a form submission) or Salesforce information (e.g. overwriting even newly input information in HubSpot – which is apparently currently happening).

karstenkoehler_0-1674120114844.png

Before you make any changes here, I'd recommend working with your counterpart on the Salesforce side in your company. With them, you should review these settings and not make any changes before considering all aspects thoroughly.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KaKaRoT,

Sure, that's also an option, but without having the context of how exactly your portal is set up, how you have configured your integration with Salesforce I cannot say what the suitable option is.

There are more considerations to this and you should discuss this with a Salesforce key user or admin in your company.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
9 Replies 9
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KaKaRoT,

First off, if you need a quick resolution, I'd recommend working with HubSpot support (purple help widget in the lower right corner of the HubSpot app or question mark symbol in the menu bar). They can immediately access your portal and check what's going on.

Could you send a screenshot of the form (screenshot taken in the forms editor) used on the landing page?

When you navigate to the form in HubSpot (Menu > Marketing > Lead capture > Forms > click on form), you should see a tab Submissions. Do all submissions show up here? Is there an error message on one of the form submissions? (Hover over it, then click View submission. An error message would show up here.)

On the contact record belonging to the email address, do both submissions show up?

Lastly, sometimes an integration immediately changes back the value of a First name and Last name field. For example, a Salesforce integration can be set up to always prefer the Salesforce value. In that case, it would seem as if it wasn't updated correctly by the form submission. What happens however is that it changes back to the previous value immediately. You can check this by navigating to a contact record, hovering your mouse over the First name field and clicking Details. The right sidebar should pop open with a change history. If an app changes the values, it would show up here.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

KaKaRoT
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler,

Here you go with the screenshots,

Submission Tab of the form, as you can see even after entering my name in the form it still show as Test Test

KaKaRoT_0-1674118664505.png

And here is the screenshot for the form fields,

KaKaRoT_1-1674118759815.png

Please help as you always, thanks!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KaKaRoT,

@KaKaRoT wrote:

KaKaRoT_0-1674118664505.png

When you hover over the submissions and click View submission, what do you see?

Have you checked the contact record for form submissions and the property value history for First name? (see my previous post)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
KaKaRoT
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler,

In the form view submission, I can see the correct first name and last name that I entered in the form. 

And yes again you are right I checked the first name property history and looks like Salesforce integration is changing the value to the previous one. Can you please recommend a solution for the same?

Thanks in advance!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KaKaRoT,

If the Salesforce integration is making this change, you would have to review the settings under Settings > Integrations > Connected apps > Salesforce > Contacts. In the integration settings, you can specify whether the integration should prefer HubSpot information (e.g. a form submission) or Salesforce information (e.g. overwriting even newly input information in HubSpot – which is apparently currently happening).

karstenkoehler_0-1674120114844.png

Before you make any changes here, I'd recommend working with your counterpart on the Salesforce side in your company. With them, you should review these settings and not make any changes before considering all aspects thoroughly.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
KaKaRoT
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler,

So basically if we change the sync rule to "Prefer HubSpot" then correct updates will be captured in HubSpot and we can sync the same in Salesforce.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again, you are awesome and always helpful.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KaKaRoT,

Always happy to help. Generally, yes, that's what should happen.

Before you do that however, I'd recommend reviewing all the different scenarios of how information enters both HubSpot and Salesforce. It might not be as black and white as it first looks. Preferring HubSpot might mean that a manual update by a sales rep in Salesforce is changed back.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
KaKaRoT
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler,

How about Two Way sync?

KaKaRoT_0-1674122531096.png

Thanks

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KaKaRoT,

Sure, that's also an option, but without having the context of how exactly your portal is set up, how you have configured your integration with Salesforce I cannot say what the suitable option is.

There are more considerations to this and you should discuss this with a Salesforce key user or admin in your company.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes