Lead Capture Tools

Nikbin

Failing validation in hubspot form for emails

SOLVE

Hey guys,

we are having an issue with the validation of emails in our Hubspot form. E.g. Using the email address "test@shore.com" is being displayed as not valid although the domain shore.com exists. Any ideas?

You can find the form here  when you click on request free demo.

Thanks  a lot!

Best regards

Nik

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
roisinkirby
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

HubSpot automatically validates email addresses as they are entered on your HubSpot forms. This default functionality, built into HubSpot forms, helps to prevent spam form submissions. If you or your customers attempt to submit a form with a fake or outdated email address, an error message will be displayed beneath the email field.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
62 Replies 62
Ricardion

SOLVE

Hi,

A website visitor has tried submitting a form with their work email address and it seems to be rejected by Hubspot email validator. I have checked the email address on https://email-checker.net/ and it is a valid email address. I have tried several variations of the email address under the said domain and it seems to pass the validation.

I hope that someone can address this issue.

Cheers,

Richard Lim

0 Upvotes
JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @Ricardion,

Could you please provide more details on how HubSpot is blocking your email domain in your forms? Are you receiving any errors that you could share as a screenshot? 

Thanks!

Jess

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

LK638
Contributor

SOLVE

@JessicaH 

We have had somewhat similar instances and this is the most relevant thread.

(1) Receiving submissions from from emails using fake domains. As these are not considered part of the default 'free domains' list - which we have implemented on our forms - I'm assuming this is why they were able to be validated? If not, it is surprising that this is not caught by the automatic validating capability.

(2) Receiving submissions from legitimate domains but invalid adressees, for example: 's**********a@domain.com' or contact@domain.com. Is this not also blocked through HubSpot's automatic validation? If not, is there a tools I can intagrate with forms?

Thanks

0 Upvotes
jbhafner

SOLVE

Hi Jenny. The problem has not been resolved. As of 10/11/2018, email validation is laggy (by several seconds) on some email constructs, and throwing an invalid error on other addresses that are perfectly valid. In my testing, .edu addresses were particularly affected.

I have a screen recording that I can share a link to for further info upon request.

As others have stated, false negatives against valid contacts is of far greater consequence than accidental validation of spam contacts.  

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @jbhafner,

Sorry you're still experiencing this issue; can you please share those screenshots with me through either here or direct message (click the envelope in the top right hand corner). Additionally if you can link me to the page with the form that would be great!

Thanks,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
jbhafner

SOLVE

(For visibility to the community)

I forwarded the screen recording to Jenny along with the link to the form.

In addition, here are some relevant parts of the response from the support ticket:

"Part of the validation process that is done is to check their DNS provider and check that their inbox is available and valid. We could be seeing the validator mark them as invalid at the time of submitting if their inbox wasn't available at the time, or their mail server is prompting the error during the validation process. This does resolve on the mail provider side but our team here is currently exploring options and working on ways to improve this with the email protection team and our services. These contacts can also be manually added into your account and our system will check that the contact with this email exists to allow them to submit the form in the future should that error message display."

I am following up with Support to better understand the process of "manually" adding contacts into the account for the purpose of validating future form submissions.

0 Upvotes
jbhafner

SOLVE

Adding to the thread for visibility.

I received a message from our CSM yesterday (10/22/2018) stating that HubSpot is going to make a change to the email validation process for affected accounts. He quoted text from the product team, but apparently that particular update is not posted publically so I'm not going to repost it here. Suffice it to say that this issue was raised by a sufficient number of HubSpot customers to warrant action.

Hopefully we see a reduction in false negative (validation errors) on forms.

joseph-seabass
Participant

SOLVE

Unfortunately, this issue continues to remian.  I have created a simple test form that accepts just a few fields, one being email.  One of my valid email addresses that is hosted on G-Suite with a valid domain continues to be rejected.  The format of the address is very simple.  It contains no special charaters and a simple domain name.

At this point, I am going to have ot try and work around validation using the API to skip validation.

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @joseph-seabass,

If you can direct message me the email address, form, and a screenshot of what you are seeing I am happy to investigate this matter further.

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
BastiSchuhl
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks for looking into this @jennysowyrda. I sent you a DM with a similar issues for one of my accounts as well. Thank you! Sebastian

0 Upvotes
RR123

SOLVE

I use Hubspot on our website and clients are complaining that their emails are invalid even though they are valid.  I also had the same experience on https://www.kourawealth.co.nz/ where they use Hubspot.  My email address which is the following format, firstname@company.co.nz was reported as invalid and as such I did not receive an email saying that my pension / superannuantion had been transferred to them.  Why is Hubspot not accepting valid emails?  This is very concerning.

fkahlert

SOLVE

This is clearly NOT solved.

I have yesterday seen it fail on several attempts.

All emails were VALID corporate US .com emails - no edu, nothing international.

Notably 

@coca-cola.com was rejected (and this is a valid corp email) emails with dashes in the name (a-b@domain.com) were rejected and a perfectly normal domain without any special characters was rejected (and yes, the person who tried to enter it is the CMO of that organization and does know the name of her company)

This is happening on a sign up form we use at a trade show so I can clearly see people entering their emails.

Is there a way to turn off the validation alltogether?

Thx

F,

YTopor
Participant

SOLVE

Having the same issue, form suggesting email change to .fr instead of .org

Wiebke
Contributor

SOLVE

Please see attached a screenshot. This is now just with using the underscore. The page it happens on is every page I tried so far but for example this:https://pages.opuscapita.com/ebook-how-to-make-services-procurement-efficient-and-compliant 

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 7.19.11.png

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Thanks for sharing @Wiebke

It looks like the email address I am seeing as valid includes a period (".") as opposed to an underscore ("_"). When I put in the email address with the period, the warning message went away.

If the underscore email address is associated with a valid inbox, can you please send along a received email from that inbox showing the inbox is valid?

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
nkelner
Participant

SOLVE

I'm having this problem too. It sounds like you all are working on it but I'd like to add my voice to the chorus to perhaps get this fixed faster. It's really unnaceptable for hubspot not to handle this perfectly. It's business critical and it's something that just about every form on the the entire internet handles perfectly and without a problem.

BerghSuzanne
Participant

SOLVE

The problem still exists, is there a work around. We can't organize events with your software, if people can't subscribe to our events.... Please help?!

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi all, I can confirm that there have been no changes to the way HubSpot forms validate emails.

HubSpot automatically validates email addresses as they are entered on your HubSpot forms. This default functionality helps to prevent spam form submissions. If you or your customers attempt to submit a form with a fake or outdated email address, an error message will be displayed beneath the email field.

If you are seeing the message "Please enter your business email address. This form does not accept addresses from domain.com," your email field is likely set to not allow submissions from free email providers. Read more about this setting here.

You can verify emails yourself using these resources:

0 Upvotes
DMurphy1
Contributor

SOLVE

I have the same issue. The form isn't allowing an email to get entered even though it is a valid address.  It is suggesting we change the .org in the address to .fr

Why? the address is valid.

0 Upvotes
Wiebke
Contributor

SOLVE

Following up on this issue, I noticed also that emails containing an underscore are not allowed, how come? Those can be emails, no?

0 Upvotes
Méryl

SOLVE

Hello,

I've got the same issue. Some email address that are normaly correct are not validated by hubspot on our form. But I can't identify a specific rule that can engender the issue.

For exemple, meryl@gmail.com or meryl45@gmail.com don't work but firstname.lastname@gmail.com is ok.

Did Hubspot make any change in its email form ?

We are loosing some subscription because of it, we searched for an answer but didn't found anything.

Thank you.

Bests regards,

Méryl