Email subscription form

Otterbot
Contributor

How can I link an email signup form to a specific Subscription type?

I have set up Subscription Types in my Marketing > Email > Settings.  And they are active. However, when I create a "Newsletter Subscription Form" I only see the option for Email to be listed as "Subscribed." 

Thank you for any help.

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @Otterbot,

Can you please share screenshots of where you are getting stuck and where you are not seeing the subscriptions listed? 

For a full explanation of how to set up and implement subscription types, I wanted to share this resource.

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
Otterbot
Contributor

Hi there - thank you for your help. Here's the screencap:

email form sub.jpg

We would like people who Subscribe to have the option of being added to additional communications lists based on their purchasing behavior.  However, I'm not understanding some of the documentation around Subscription Preferences. If someone signs-up via a newsletter form, they are "Subscribed=Yes" in their contact properties (correct?).

• How does the above affect their Subscription Preferences - both on their Preferences Page and in Contact Properties? Does "Subscribed=Yes" automatically opt you in to every preference option?
  • Why is there only an Opted Out contact property for Subscription Preferences? 

Thank you for any additional help!

0 Upvotes
Ben_M
Key Advisor

If you want to implement a more complicated system for subscribing or something custom, your easiest solution is to consider building a workflow on the backend of the form that pulls users in when they submit the form and then add/remove them to subscription groups based on that action.

Otterbot
Contributor

Thanks Ben - Where does one control subscription groups? There is only a contact property for whether you have opted out. We would like to avoid creating active lists based on form behavior, because we have time-bound forms that are new / deactivate periodically. Thank you.

0 Upvotes
Otterbot
Contributor

I've found documentation here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/Manage-your-subscription-preferences-and-types

I was a wee confused because Subscription Types don't correlate with a contact property.  Would you recommend this workaround?

Contact fills out form >

Form submission triggers a change in a custom Contact Property (example: Interested in Teddy Bears = Yes)  >

Workflow changes a person's Subscription Status to Opted-In for a subscription type called "Teddy Bears" >

Active List pulls in all contacts that show "Contact has opted into all of Teddy Bears">

Email can be sent to the above list.

Ben_M
Key Advisor

What you mention is actually a bit redundant because you shouldn't need to set a custom property if you are already opting them into the subscription type.  Simply opting them in should be enough, unless you have multiple subscription types available from the form in which case, setting a contact property may be needed.  

Otterbot
Contributor

Thank you, Ben. Yes, we have a global opt-in, plus multiple subscription types based on form behavior. I appreciate very much your help weighing in on this.

0 Upvotes