Creating a "invite a friend" feature with forms?

Highlighted
New Contributor | Gold Partner

I was hoping I could use forms to create a "invite a friend" feature on my site.

The goal would be to allow users to invite friends, etc to attend a course by typing in the email addresses of the people they want to invite into a form.  On submission, any email addresses entered would get an email with a "special invite link" that would be populated from a custom field in the inviter's hubspot profile.

Any ideas?  Or would it need some custom development?

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
Highlighted
Community Superstar

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: I was hoping I could use forms to create a "invite a friend" feature on my site.

The goal would be to allow users to invite friends, etc to attend a course by typing in the email addresses of the people they want to invite into a form.  On submission, any email addresses entered would get an email with a "special invite link" that would be populated from a custom field in the inviter's hubspot profile.

Any ideas?  Or would it need some custom development??

Short A: n/a

Longer A:

Nearly everything you describe, with the exception of the "special invite link" and actually adding the new contact to the portal, can be built with native HubSpot functionality in HubSpot Pro (or Enterprise). A little additional custom dev will get you the rest of the way.

That being said, you'll definitely attract the attention of both the HubSpot email police and the GDPR police (because you'll never know if any of those 'invitees' reside within the EU). You realize that humans can't legally give businesses the right to send marketing email to other humans right? (rhetorical)

Just a thought.

(no longer monitoring this thread)

#nlmtt #spammer #gdpr-violation

Note: HubSpot is a constantly evolving platform. Please check the date of each post and view all solutions in that context.

-- Visit

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

Support • Web • Apps • Training

HubSpot's Hiring World-Wide!

Highlighted
New Contributor | Gold Partner

I simplified the scenario for the sake of explaining it easier, in reality the person doing the inviting is the owner of a company that purchase $500+ spots in a course on behalf of their staff and the "special invite link" is the way the staff will "claim"/RSVP to the course.

I'm not at all concerned about GDPR or anything else, since this company doesn't operate outside of North America and there is implied concent based off a sales transaction.  It really should be done as a transactional email instead of a marketing one, but I'm not paying $1000/m for the transactional add on.

The main thing I think I'm missing is a way to pass a field from one contact's profile, into the same field in another contact's profile via a hidden form field, but I don't think it can be done without custom development.

0 Upvotes