Lead Capture Tools

SaferCycling
Contributor

Contact Me form: marketing email permission

SOLVE

I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right place: apologies if not (please tell me where it would be a better fit).

I have a Contact Me form embedded on my site and along with it I have a check box for people to opt in to my newsletter (unchecked by default). All contacts are automatically added to my contact list. The problem is that when the form is submitted, the message sent through doesn't include whether this checkbox is selected AND it leaves the contact marked "unspecified" for marketing emails, not unsubscribed. 

Is there a way I can get it to either include the checkbox status in the message that comes to me or have it mark unchecked contacts as unsubscribed to marketing email, or both? 

Or is there a different way to set up the form so that those who don't want to receive marketing email will be set as unsubscribed? 

Thanks in advance,

Melissa

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SaferCycling,

Thank you, I now have what I need for a thorough answer.

HubSpot has three statuses for a contact towards a subscription type: opted in, not opted, opted out. While they sound the same, not opted and opted out mean different things. Not opted simply stands for "no choice made or documented", it's a neutral value. That's why HubSpot also shows contacts who did not opt into a subscription type as not specified.

You could do multiple things now:

• Instead of creating lists of contacts who did not opt out, create lists of contacts who opted in. (Creating lists of contacts who did not opt out is redundant anyway: HubSpot automatically excludes opted out contacts from email sends. This happens without being explicitly mentioned to the user.)
  • Use the GDPR settings that require an opt-in: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/privacy-and-consent/how-do-i-turn-on-gdpr-functionality-in-my-hubspot-... – If you enable the "Require legal basis to communicate" checkbox, HubSpot will not only automatically exclude opted out contacts from email sends but also not opted contacts. Only emails to opted in contacts will go through. (The opt status always refers to the subscription type chosen for the marketing email.)
  • If you have workflows, you could theoretically set incoming contacts who are not opted / unspecified as opted out / unsubscribed but in my opinion, this is factually incorrect. It's not that these contacts opted out, they simply didn't choose anything. If you want to do this, you would use the "Manage subscription status" workflow action.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SaferCycling,

With a correctly set up form, this should happen. There's probably something about your form settings which prevents this from happening.

Could you please share a screenshot of your form in the forms editor? Please click into the consent text box at the bottom before taking the screenshot and don't crop the sidebar or anything else.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

I got another message today and wanted to show you what I see: I've put together a single image which contains first the email that I received - the consent for marketing box not included - then the form submission record, showing they did NOT consent for marketing emails, then the contact record on their subscriptions, which left their marketing preference as unspecified. 

I set up my marketing emails to send to everyone who hasn't unsubscribed, so this person would receive them, even though they said no. It's fine if I have to go manually unsubscribe them, I just want to get that info in the email with their message so that I know to go do that. Right now, I will have to go look at the submission on the form and then go change their subscription status if necessary. Ideally, anyone who doesn't check that box would automatically be unsubscribed without me having to do anything. 

new contact form email submission and record.png

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SaferCycling,

Thank you, I now have what I need for a thorough answer.

HubSpot has three statuses for a contact towards a subscription type: opted in, not opted, opted out. While they sound the same, not opted and opted out mean different things. Not opted simply stands for "no choice made or documented", it's a neutral value. That's why HubSpot also shows contacts who did not opt into a subscription type as not specified.

You could do multiple things now:

• Instead of creating lists of contacts who did not opt out, create lists of contacts who opted in. (Creating lists of contacts who did not opt out is redundant anyway: HubSpot automatically excludes opted out contacts from email sends. This happens without being explicitly mentioned to the user.)
  • Use the GDPR settings that require an opt-in: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/privacy-and-consent/how-do-i-turn-on-gdpr-functionality-in-my-hubspot-... – If you enable the "Require legal basis to communicate" checkbox, HubSpot will not only automatically exclude opted out contacts from email sends but also not opted contacts. Only emails to opted in contacts will go through. (The opt status always refers to the subscription type chosen for the marketing email.)
  • If you have workflows, you could theoretically set incoming contacts who are not opted / unspecified as opted out / unsubscribed but in my opinion, this is factually incorrect. It's not that these contacts opted out, they simply didn't choose anything. If you want to do this, you would use the "Manage subscription status" workflow action.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Karsten, 

Your solution for managing subscription status of new contacts involves changing the status of all previous contacts, including lists? This doesn't seem like a useful and workable solution. 

How do I make it so that the status of this checkbox is included in the message sent to me? 

Melissa

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SaferCycling,

Which of the three bullet points are you referring to? The one involving the GDPR settings is what I'd consider best practice.

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Karsten, 

The first 2 bullet points require me to redo my lists and/or manually update previous contacts. I do not live in the EU so my privacy rules are different but that suggestion still requires a re-evaluation of all previous contacts. 

The third option is the only one that addresses new contacts but still doesn't address the challenges that I have: I don't receive notification of their choice for opting in or not and they're not automatically set as unsubscribed. 

I have created a work-around by creating a radio to select yes or no for whether they want to receive marketing emails and eliminating the consent for marketing toggle. This box will be in the email sent to me and is required: if they choose no at least I can see that and will go mark them unsubscribed. If they choose yes, I don't have to do anything. 

Melissa

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SaferCycling,

By using a custom property, you're potentially working past HubSpot's consent safeguards. At the end of each marketing email is a "Manage preferences" link. The page linked refers to the consent status stored in the subscription types, it can't be connected to your custom property.

If a contact opts out of a subscription type there, this will also not be reflected in your custom property. After a while, your custom property will not show the actual subscription status of your contacts.

It would be easiest, if you either:

• enabled the GDPR settings despite not being in the EU (it doesn' matter whether you are or whether you aren't – what you described is pretty close to the behavior this feature is offering) or
  • created a recipient list that filters for the opt-in (this is by far the easiest option)

It seems like you're focused on making HubSpot work according to your requirements but as someone who's used the tool for almost a decade, I'd recommend adjusting to the tool here, especially if you're planning on using it long term.

I can't help with the fact that the checked box does not appear in the submission. Then again, you're not creating marketing emails based on submission notifications, you can simply create reports or contact lists that give you all contacts that provided their consent.

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Karsten, 

It sounds like you believe I have unreasonable expectations: I disagree. I don't think it's unreasonable to mark a contact as unsubscribed if they express their desire to NOT receive marketing email or at the very least include their preference with the rest of their email so that I can update their status. 

The suggestions you have provided aren't simple or easy: HubSpot doesn't offer any method for a customer to actively subscribe to marketing email, doesn't automatically unsubscribe them if they don't consent and in order to set up lists that don't include the "not specified" people, I would have to manually go through every contact that hasn't unsubscribed one by one. How is that the easiest method when all I've asked is to receive notification of new contact's preferences? 

Melissa

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SaferCycling,

You don't have to update contacts one by one, you can do so in bulk: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/manage-your-subscription-preferences-and-types#update-subscri...

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

SaferCycling
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Karsten, 

I've looked at this box numerous times and am not seeing where there's options at all, other than making it required (or not). 

Here's a screenshot; not sure if it's what you're looking for. hubspot contact form marketing.png

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Upvotes