Contact Form 7 + Hubspot - Select fields aren't showing which was selected in hubspot

Occasional Contributor

Hi as the title says we are using Contact form 7 with the Hubspot plugin.

All fields map correctly and go into Hubspot. 

The problem lies with the two different select fields we use. In hubspot they just show as the dropdow, with nothing selected, and it pulls in all entries within the select field. But we can't tell which one the user has selected?

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

0 Upvotes
6 Replies
Top Contributor

Being that there is no data being pulled in, but seeing a form submission leads me to believe that the field is not required on the form because otherwise the form submission should not be showing in Hubspot. Can you confirm that both the name and all values for this picklist are in sync with Hubspot?

Or are you running any additional plugins on your CF7 instance to capture data or have it sent to you so that you can verify what value is being captured? If you need one to confirm this data this one should work ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/flamingo/ ). 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ben,
Sorry I'm a bit confused by your response.

Data is being pulled in but it just isn't showing which dropdown item was selected by the user.

In hubspot  you can see all the available options for that dropdown select when you click on the arrow. Just not what has been selected on the actual form.

They are all required fields on the form and an item from each dropdown select has been chosen before the form was submited.

Thanks

Tom

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Advisor

Hi @tombyrom,

Most likely, there is a slight mismatch in the way the drop-down selections are entered in Contact Form 7 and Hubspot.  It could be something as minor as a leading or trailing space.

In my experience, best prectice when using third party forms software in WordPress with HubSpot, is to make the Contact Form 7 field a drop-down, and the HubSpot field a simple text field.  Then, you are only controlling the list of possible form selections in one place.

If you must have the HubSpot field be a drop-down because it is used in other places (for example, if sales needs to update it), then I would copy and past the field entries from Contact Form 7 into HubSpot so you are certain of an exact match.

- Trevor

-Trevor

If my post resolves your issue, please accept my post as a solution.
Top Contributor

@tombyrom  - The fact that you don't see the value selected suggests that the value resulted in a mismatch of data or other error that is causing the value to not be sent from CF7 to Hubspot. What you are seeing is the result on no data being pulled over and no value being set.  By using that Flamingo plugin you add a database table on the WP side to store form sumbission values in CF7 which will allow us to compare the data that is being collected by CF7 to the data that is in Hubspot which could help identify the data mismatch easier.

To @trevorjones71 's point - You can point a dropdown on a web form to a text field in Hubspot to be sure that you get the right value, however, is Sales needs access to this data and the field becomes open, it potentially could lead to data inconsistencies down the road.  What I would recommend is that when you name the "internal value" on the dropdown that you avoid using any spaces or special characters as they need to be encoded as HTML during a submission and can cause data values not to match up. What I typically recommend when mapping dropdowns is either no spaces at all, or use "-" or "_" in the internal value so that you have a complete string that doesn't require HTML encoding.  So for instance, your internal values for the dropdown would become:

Professional Development | professionalDevelopment

Search Engine Optimization | searchEngineOptimization

Pay Per Click | payPerClick

Digital Display Marketing | digitalDisplayMarketing

0 Upvotes
Top Contributor

@tombyrom - I'm thinking it is a mismatch as well like @trevorjones71 mentioned. The plugin, Flamingo, that I linked to will store the CF7 submissions in a database table for review to see this.

Typically, I would not recommend mapping a drop down on your website to a single line text on the backend, unless you control who has access to that field. For instance, if sales can edit that field, it's not a good idea because then the data is no longer standardized.

What I would typically recommend doing is implementing a naming convention for internal values such that you remove spaces or special characters from the names as those require HTML encoding and the integration between the 2 form endpoints (CF7 --> Hubspot) may be causing the issue.  So in your example "Search Engine Optimization" would have an internal value of "searchEngineOptimization" this way you only have characters to match up in names and you take things like spaces and encoded characters out.  

Occasional Contributor

@Ben_M  @trevorjones71 

Sorry fo the delay and thanks for the reposnes guys, I'm going to test out what you've recommmended and I'll report back.

Cheers

Tom

0 Upvotes