Confused about when visitors are cookied

wmflan39
Contributor

A visitor to our trade show booth provides suficient information to allow them free access to our otherwise gated content when they visit our website later, so there's no need to present a form. I've added their name to a 'Free Pass' list and I'm comfortable using smart content with that list to route such website visitors around the registration landing page directly to the requested content. But I'm confused about when the CMS will recognize them as a member of the list. Clearly, not upon arrival, but when?

Thanks for your time and help.

WmFlan

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
Ben_M
Key Advisor

Easiest way around this would be to email contacts from the event a direct link to that page around the gated content.  The email will create the link from the unknown to the known.  Otherwise, they won't get a cookie until their next interaction as there is no way prior for the system to identify which member of the list is requesting access.  Most likely this will result in them filling out the entire form on your website.

Also keep in mind if users do not accept cookies, then this will not work and they will need to fill out the form.

wmflan39
Contributor

Thanks, Ben!

It appears, however, that if I click back to my website from a CTA or link in within a HubSpot marketing email to a test Contact in the appropriate list (using incognito mode), the system does not trigger the expected Smart Content.

Is some other interaction required to 'cookie' the visitor and if so, how does it know to associate it to the list member? The email?

Thanks again for your time!

WmFlan

0 Upvotes
Ben_M
Key Advisor

When in incognito mode your browser will not store cookies.  Unfortunately in this case if you need to test cookies, you will need to use a normal browsing session.  I would just add your contact profile that tracks you to the list and test that cookie functionality.

wmflan39
Contributor

Ben,

Incognito does not store cookies, but it does use them during the session, so it seems it should be useful for my testing.

From Google Chrome Help:

Chrome doesn't save your browsing history or information entered in forms. Cookies and site data are remembered while you're browsing, but deleted when you exit Incognito mode.

I don't understand your last sentence...

WmFlan

0 Upvotes
Ben_M
Key Advisor

Hi @wmflan39 - When I have worked with clients in the past, the first thing I would make sure is that they have contacts that are connected to themselves.  So if your email as wmflan39@yourdomain.com - I would create a contact with that information so that when you are filling out forms for testing you go to incognito mode to test the unknown whereas when you use your browser normally you would see how known users view the data. 

If your visitors are not being cookied from email tracking then the next step for you is to go to your settings --> Marketing --> Email --> Tracking and make sure Identity Tracking is turned on.  If it is turned on and you are still not seeing cookies tracked, I would open a ticket with Hubspot support to look into.  Otherwise, your next steps would be digging through code to figure out why the cookie is not tracking or to see if there is conflicting code on your site that is preventing the cookie from being set.

0 Upvotes