Changing Default Label for Properties

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Within the property editor, there is the ability to change the label of drop-down items. As well as choose which items appear as options within the drop-down of the forms. These changes work globally across all forms that use these properties:

Edit Drop Down Property.PNG

This is useful when you may want the item to appear in simple terms for the customer, without changing the name of the property you use internally for reporting. Sometimes it makes sense for the label and internal value to differ.

I'd like to see this same functionality be applied to the Property level.

Each time I add "Lead Source" to a form I manually go in and change the label to "How did you first find us?"

Right now the only way to have the form editor default to "How did you first find us?" when addign the properoty to a form is to change the property name. But I dont want to change the property name as that will effect my internal reporting. It makes more sense for the customer to be asked a question, BUT more sense for internal reporting to see the property as "lead source." Thus being one of the times when it makes sense for the label and internal value to differ. 

Lead Source in form editor.PNG

The reason I would like to be able to default this properties label to always first appear as "How did you first find us?"  when added in the form editor is so that we do not accidently add this property to a form and forget to change the label.. thus leaving it in the form as Lead Source (which will not mean much to the customer). Can always change the default as needed. But would be really nice to specify the default.

Do others see a need for the same/similar functionality to be added?

7 Replies 7
Regular Contributor

Would also be good to be able to create a default help text for a property as well... so that the same help text appears each time that field is used.

Advisor

Good suggestion @hollybo  - 

When we have this issue on our website, our solution is to simply change the name of the propoerty in HubSpot.  Why not name the property "How did you first find us?"  HubSpot does have an "Internal Description" field which could be set to "Lead Source" just to make sure it's clear internally what the field is.

If you're mapping this to the Salesforce "LeadSource" field, the mapping shouldn't be effected by the change in field name, and you can always set that manually.

-Trevor

If my post resolves your issue, please accept my post as a solution.
Regular Contributor

When my team is looking for this item they are going to look to add "Lead Source" they wont intuite to type in and search for the parameter "How did you first find us?" The likely outcome is that someone from the team will add a new parameter called "Lead Source" and then my data will be split between two properties. So I'd like to leave it as Lead Source as that is the name everyone is familiar with.

For now I am just going to monitor to make sure it appears correctly in the forms and train the team to add it correctly, I just like safe guards and automation. Don't like having to keep an eye on things. Especially as our team grows (too many hands in the cookie jar). A work around might be for me to create a template form, with this parameter already properly setup. I actually like that idea a lot because I can have all the "minimum" required fields on that template, and then they can just add which additional fields they need for their given campaign. I think I might try it out and then reply back with my results. 

I also ended up posting this in the ideas section by the way, as I realized that was a more appropriate spot. Click here for THIS POST IN IDEAS and there I also added that it would also be good to be able to create a default help text for a property as well... so that the same help text appears each time that field is used. But not as important. --> the template idea could also take care of this request if I can make it work. I'll let you know.

0 Upvotes
Advisor

Hi @hollybo - 

So - let me just say out of the gate that I don't work for HubSpot.  I say that because I really don't want to offend you with what I am about to say, but if I do you shouldn't blame HubSpot:

What you are describing is a training issue.  At some point you have to train your team to do one of two things:  Either train them to change the description, or train them to look for a name other than "Lead Source" when creating forms.  Maybe your solution would eliminate most of these issues, but I can tell you from experience it won't prevent all of the errors around these fields.

I've had employees create multiple fields in HubSpot with the EXACT SAME NAME before, so believe me, I have the same problem sometimes.  When I find them, I try to look at it as an opportunity to teach help my team learn.  We can always consolidate the data from the two fields with a workflow or two, so no data is lost, and we learn from it an move on.

For my money, teaching them that "How Did You First Find  Us" = "Lead Source" is probably easier than getting them to remember to change a description, but it may not be for you.

Good luck!  If you find a better solution, I would definitely love to hear more about it.  

-Trevor

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

I had tried to send a detailed reply to this last week.. but it disapperaed Smiley Sad

0 Upvotes
Advisor

Hey @hollybo

Not sure why it disappeared.  If you still want to discuss, feel free to send me a message from my profile.

-Trevor

0 Upvotes
Advisor

Funny enough, I now see your post @hollybo 

-Trevor

0 Upvotes