Lead Capture Tools

jbotelho
Contributor

Canadian Government employees cannot fill out form

SOLVE

Has anyone encountered an issue where Canadian Government email addresses are treated as invalid during form submission? We had 2 employees from the Government of Nunavut  try to sign up with one of our forms. Both received a message that their email address (@gov.nu.ca) was invalid.  

I was able to manually sign them up using a different form without any issue. I'm trying to figure out why they were unable to sign up yet I could enter their same email address and file without error. 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
JorieMunroe
Solution
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

SOLVE

Hi @jbotelho,

Thank you for your patience! I haven't yet been able to replicate the error the two Canadian employees were seeing on this forms.

The process HubSpot uses to validate a form approximates to the following:

1. Formatting check: the text must look like and email address and the top level domain must appear in the public suffix list

2. DNS Lookup: the domain of the email address must have an MX record or A record

3. HubSpot Data Check: email must not be globally bounced

4. HubSpot delivery check: if we've ever delivered an email to the address, then we consider the email OK without continuing

5. Final validation check with a third party provider (which includes connecting ot hte inbox mail serve to deterine if the inbox if valid).

This process helps HubSpot try to strike a balance between being the guardian of a users data vs allowing anyone to submit.

In my experience, it is either 1 (spelling mistakes/human error) or 5 (issues with our third party provider that resolve on their own - potentially more likely, in this case) that cause legitimate email address to be flagged.  Overall, however, legitimate emails addresses getting flagged as invalid is quite rare.

Now that you've manually entered in these contacts, they should be all set moving forward. If you do notice any further issues regarding form submissions for legitimate emails, feel free to reach out to Support (they can file an internal ticket) or reach out here and we can continue digging together!

Best,
Jorie

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
GeorgeLively

SOLVE

.org and .gov email addresses are being rejected by the Mailchimp signup tool. They are properly formatted, valid email addresses that have not been blocked by anyone. Can anyone help me fix this problem? Thanks.

0 Upvotes
JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

SOLVE

Hi @jbotelho,

Welcome to HubSpot Community! Could you link to the form/page where the two employees received this error on? Happy to investigate more!

Best,

Jorie 

0 Upvotes
jbotelho
Contributor

SOLVE

Sure thing - form can be found here. Thanks!

0 Upvotes
JorieMunroe
Solution
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

SOLVE

Hi @jbotelho,

Thank you for your patience! I haven't yet been able to replicate the error the two Canadian employees were seeing on this forms.

The process HubSpot uses to validate a form approximates to the following:

1. Formatting check: the text must look like and email address and the top level domain must appear in the public suffix list

2. DNS Lookup: the domain of the email address must have an MX record or A record

3. HubSpot Data Check: email must not be globally bounced

4. HubSpot delivery check: if we've ever delivered an email to the address, then we consider the email OK without continuing

5. Final validation check with a third party provider (which includes connecting ot hte inbox mail serve to deterine if the inbox if valid).

This process helps HubSpot try to strike a balance between being the guardian of a users data vs allowing anyone to submit.

In my experience, it is either 1 (spelling mistakes/human error) or 5 (issues with our third party provider that resolve on their own - potentially more likely, in this case) that cause legitimate email address to be flagged.  Overall, however, legitimate emails addresses getting flagged as invalid is quite rare.

Now that you've manually entered in these contacts, they should be all set moving forward. If you do notice any further issues regarding form submissions for legitimate emails, feel free to reach out to Support (they can file an internal ticket) or reach out here and we can continue digging together!

Best,
Jorie
0 Upvotes
VR_81
Participant

SOLVE

I have the same problem with the domain @epo.org which is the European Patent Office...

What can we do here?

0 Upvotes
jbotelho
Contributor

SOLVE

Ok, I'll continue to monitor and update if this happens again.