Lead Capture Tools

butteryak

Assign new contact from form submission to owner?

SOLVE

Is there anyway to assign an owner to a new contact when a form is submitted?  (other than workflows which is not available in free version)

1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @butteryak 

My apologies, you are correct - I did wonder this as I wrote it. HubSpot quite rightly doesn't let you expose the contact owner property to website visitors in forms, but this also precludes you adding it as a hidden field. 

So, without workflows, there is not going to be a way to automate this. The next best thing, perhaps, is to bulk associate contacts from the contact views. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
Brennon
Contributor

SOLVE

We have an INTERNAL form the sales team uses to submit information so it would be really helpful to be able to pull in contact owner property and provide the ability to only show a certain team in the list.

CSBgwall
Participant

SOLVE

Here's a solution I found if you really want to assign a contact owner (one that is visible to the public or whomever is using the form). First create a form field, lets call it "Customer Service Contact" with the names you would like to have as options (Flora, Miles, Danni). Then in a workflow you can assign a contact owner. If form field "Customer Service Contacts" is "Flora" assign contact owner to "Flora@bly.com". 

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Hi @butteryak 

You can add the contact owner as a hidden field and have it set automatically on sumbission. 

Hope this helps.

0 Upvotes
butteryak

SOLVE

I've read this is possible, but I don't see "Contact Owner" as being a field available to add to a form.  

Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @butteryak 

My apologies, you are correct - I did wonder this as I wrote it. HubSpot quite rightly doesn't let you expose the contact owner property to website visitors in forms, but this also precludes you adding it as a hidden field. 

So, without workflows, there is not going to be a way to automate this. The next best thing, perhaps, is to bulk associate contacts from the contact views. 

Hope this helps.

kpotenza
Participant

SOLVE

Phil, is there any update on this or another way? I need to have a contact be assigned either in a workflow (says they have to be on paid professional) or within the form (doesn't let me pick option for "contact owner").

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @kpotenza  a way I can think would be that you should be able to create a custom property that would act as a temporary contact owner property and pass this as a hidden field.

After you can export these contacts and import back to the correct contact owner property.

I hope this helps.

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

kpotenza
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Pam, 

I would be looking for the contact owner to be placed right away as these are time-sensitive forms. I just wish Contact Owner was an option as a property on a form.

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @kpotenza 

At the moment, there is not an option for this property to be added inside the forms, this is because it is an internal sales property. I understand that you are trying to add this property in the forms, however, the reason the forms were designed to not include this property is so that your contacts do not have visibility of the users within your portal.

The other automatic way would be as @Phil_Vallender mentioned, using Workflows to automatically assign contact owner after a contact fill the form.

Kindly,

Pam

jtfmx
Participant

SOLVE

Is this on a roadmap to be able to assign ownership in the same manner as being able to send internal alerts on form submissions?  That's not visible to those submitting forms, so it stands to reason it's an acceptable alternative to a hidden field.  A workflow to assign ownership is often slower than my Salesforce sync, which means that my Salesforce rules have a chance to fire and assign the incorrect owner.  This is a flexibility that I'm sure quite a few customers would benefit from instead of having to work around product limitations.

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @jtfmx 

I was able to find this post in the HubSpot Community Ideas forum. Upvoting here will alert our Product Team to the popularity of this request. Doing so will also auto-notify you if/when this functionality becomes available within HubSpot. You may read more about how that review process works here

Kindly,

Pam

butteryak

SOLVE

yeah, that's what I was thinking.  

thanks much anyway++