Lead Capture Tools

JosePeralta
Member | Gold Partner
Member | Gold Partner

App Conversion Tracking

SOLVE
Hey guys!

We have a client which through the website you can download the mobile app for both iOS & Android. From the moment a visitor clicks on the app download button, register and pays, we miss that data gap. And would like to close it as far as possible.

So, we would like to make the app conversion tracking, for the following:

- App Downloads
- Downloads to signups
- Signups to paid customers

Are there any tools for this?
Have you worked in a similar case, to help us with a guide in this regard?

Thank you very much
1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

App Conversion Tracking

SOLVE

2000px-Ok_sign_font_awesomeDoes my post help answer your question?

Help the Community by marking it as SOLVED

Q: Mobile App Conversion Tracking

Short A: n/a

Longer A

Closed loop reporting to track mobile app conversions can be tricky depending on the non-HubSpot systems involved (e.g., App Store and Google Play Store) and the level of control we have over app distribution. However, in it's simplest form, app conversion tracking comes down to these high-level pieces.

-1- Track Every App Download (use HubSpot CTAs, tracking URLs, &/or sign-up forms)
This first step can REQUIRE 'sign-up' (aka: completion of a simple sign-up form) which can also store unique app license data so we can later correlate that specific sign-up with payment (important should payment occur).

-2- Track Payment (in HubSpot)
Payment information must be fed back into HubSpot (via the API). Payment amount isn't always needed for conversion tracking in cases where revenue is reported by non-HubSpot systems. However, firing of the 'payment trigger' is used to track the Subscriber-to-Customer conversion in HubSpot -- i.e., basically, if they paid, they're a 'customer'.

Once you have these two high-level pieces working we can report on conversion outcomes either from within HubSpot (depending on your solution), or by using an external reporting tool like Databox.

If your client uses Shopify, even better. HubSpot just released a Shopify integration which is equally well suited for sites with a small number of products.

As Shopify Partners, we've seen clients use multiple methods to accept payment and have helped determine how to feed that data into HubSpot without customization overkill. Again, the trick is to

1) Plan precisely what conversion information you want to see and where.

2) Get the high level pieces in place.

Hope that helps get you moving in the right direction. 

share-on-Linkedin-Button-75x19.png 

hubspot-forum-signature-badge-v01.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Please include @MFrankJohnson in your message if you'd like me to reply.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
ahass0227

App Conversion Tracking

SOLVE

Hi Jose,

This is exactly the reason we built AppLink.io, a web and mobile app analytics and marketing platform.

A complete analytics dashboard helps users get the most important information needed to evaluate the state of their apps, including tracking installations, crashes, active users and top events. AppLink.io also includes customizable criteria like screen views, session length, events, conversion goals and crashes to trigger automated actions. Actions can include sending emails or text messages, webhooks and triggering automated events in other tools.

One of the things I'm most proud of is our integration with HubSpot -https://applink.io/hubspot. If you link your account with HubSpot, AppLink.io will automatically send data to your HubSpot portal.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

App Conversion Tracking

SOLVE

Awesome @ahass0227,

I remain subscribed to this thread because I was hoping that someone somewhere with a solution would see it and chime in. internet === good; haha

AppLink.io sounds like a serious piece of work. And in today's climate of 'build an app for everything' it's sorely needed.

Hopefully, you guys can have a meeting of the minds. Please reach out if I can be of any assistance on the HubSpot side of things.

(made my day) Thanks for that.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

App Conversion Tracking

SOLVE

2000px-Ok_sign_font_awesomeDoes my post help answer your question?

Help the Community by marking it as SOLVED

Q: Mobile App Conversion Tracking

Short A: n/a

Longer A

Closed loop reporting to track mobile app conversions can be tricky depending on the non-HubSpot systems involved (e.g., App Store and Google Play Store) and the level of control we have over app distribution. However, in it's simplest form, app conversion tracking comes down to these high-level pieces.

-1- Track Every App Download (use HubSpot CTAs, tracking URLs, &/or sign-up forms)
This first step can REQUIRE 'sign-up' (aka: completion of a simple sign-up form) which can also store unique app license data so we can later correlate that specific sign-up with payment (important should payment occur).

-2- Track Payment (in HubSpot)
Payment information must be fed back into HubSpot (via the API). Payment amount isn't always needed for conversion tracking in cases where revenue is reported by non-HubSpot systems. However, firing of the 'payment trigger' is used to track the Subscriber-to-Customer conversion in HubSpot -- i.e., basically, if they paid, they're a 'customer'.

Once you have these two high-level pieces working we can report on conversion outcomes either from within HubSpot (depending on your solution), or by using an external reporting tool like Databox.

If your client uses Shopify, even better. HubSpot just released a Shopify integration which is equally well suited for sites with a small number of products.

As Shopify Partners, we've seen clients use multiple methods to accept payment and have helped determine how to feed that data into HubSpot without customization overkill. Again, the trick is to

1) Plan precisely what conversion information you want to see and where.

2) Get the high level pieces in place.

Hope that helps get you moving in the right direction. 

share-on-Linkedin-Button-75x19.png 

hubspot-forum-signature-badge-v01.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Please include @MFrankJohnson in your message if you'd like me to reply.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
mvandooren
Contributor | Gold Partner
Contributor | Gold Partner

App Conversion Tracking

SOLVE

Much appreciated, Frank. Thank you! We will review this accordingly and let you know if we have any outcome, inquires, comments or observations. 

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

App Conversion Tracking

SOLVE

You're welcome @mvandooren and @JosePeralta
A little tricky for sure, but once in place can be very helpful to prove ROI on specific campaigns (e.g., promotions) and/or channels (e.g., search, social, email, etc.).

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
JosePeralta
Member | Gold Partner
Member | Gold Partner

App Conversion Tracking

SOLVE

Thanks Frank, we will give it a try!

0 Upvotes