Lead Capture Tools

GHunt5
Participant

Add a form to HS Chat

SOLVE

Is it possible to add a form to the HS chat?

Right now we have custom fields for "latest lead source" and "latest lead source date" that update everytime a form is filled out.  When people come through chat and do not fill out a form they are not being counted in lead counts or reports for attribution to marketing dollars. 

Could we put a form in chat that would then trigger our workflow for our custom fields?

1 Accepted solution
jolle
Solution
Recognized Expert | Partner

Add a form to HS Chat

SOLVE

It's up to you to define!

HubSpot will create a new contact as soon as they enter their email address. If they already exist in the system, HubSpot will update their record as they share more information.

HubSpot also has a bunch of chat conversation properties that you can use to filter and report on:

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 4.36.14 PM.png

As far as I know, that information will populate as it comes in. HubSpot is not holding all of that data until the user hits a specific part of the chat or anything like that. So it's really up to you to define what you consider a "successful" chat conversation and enroll the contact in your workflow.

In my opinion, I would count it sooner rather than later. A user can abandon the chat for any number of reasons, some out of your control, but their contact record will still be created once they enter their email in the chat. However, if they didn't reach your workflow step before abandoning the chat, they could fly under the radar in your system.

So HubSpot will pass along chat conversion data, but it's up to you how you want to report on it and trigger additional actions. I know this is a little tricky because something like a form is either submitted or not (either the user converts or they don't). A chat conversation can potentially have partial conversions, so it's a little more difficult to track.

One other thing that I do is create chatbot-specific properties that I use only within the chatbot. For example, I'll create a "How can we help you" property with initial routing options. Whatever the user selects will save to that custom property. I then know that the only way someone can have a value for a chatbot property is to actually go through the chatbot (at least to the step that asks that question). 

Hopefully this makes sense!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
jolle

Add a form to HS Chat

SOLVE

HEy @GHunt5, good question! You can't put a form within the HubSpot chatbot, but you can essentially build one step-by-step if you're using a Qualify Leads bot that asks the user multiple questions.

You also don't need a form submission in order to trigger a workflow. I recomend using the "Enroll in Workflow" chatbot step:

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 10.04.48 AM.png

Once the lead reaches that step in the chatbot, they will automatically be enrolled in a workflow that can update your custom properties (it's worth noting that HubSpot also has "Recent Conversion" and "Latest Source" properties that may be useful to you here as well).

You can place that workflow enroll step wherever you think it makes sense once you have collected their email address — maybe that's at the very end of the chat, as soon as you collect their email address, or somewhere in between.

Hope this helps!!

Jacob Olle

0 Upvotes
GHunt5
Participant

Add a form to HS Chat

SOLVE
This is great news. Do you know at what point during the chat process a
conversion happens? I have the make shift form in the chat but not sure at
what point a conversion counts?

jolle

Add a form to HS Chat

SOLVE

@GHunt5 glad to hear! The conversion point is up to you to decide 🙂

If you are looking at chat almost like a form submission, you could consider it a "conversion" once the user has provided the minimum data you would need to initially qualify them.

I've seen some clients collect email, name, company name, and service/product of interest before considering them a lead. Other clients will count them as a lead as soon as email address is provided, and others will consider them a lead if they reach the step right before they'd be handed off to a rep.

I think that there's a sweet spot in the middle depending on the info you need to collect from the lead. If a lead drops off before they reach the workflow step, then they wouldn't go through that tagging process. So I would try and put it in the middle somewhere!

There's no right or wrong answer here, so do what will give your marketing and sales teams that info they need to qualify and report on chatbot leads.

Hope this helps!!

Jacob Olle

0 Upvotes
GHunt5
Participant

Add a form to HS Chat

SOLVE
How do I set the conversion point or see where it is set currently? I am
new to this account and there are existing issues I am researching.
0 Upvotes
jolle
Solution

Add a form to HS Chat

SOLVE

It's up to you to define!

HubSpot will create a new contact as soon as they enter their email address. If they already exist in the system, HubSpot will update their record as they share more information.

HubSpot also has a bunch of chat conversation properties that you can use to filter and report on:

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 4.36.14 PM.png

As far as I know, that information will populate as it comes in. HubSpot is not holding all of that data until the user hits a specific part of the chat or anything like that. So it's really up to you to define what you consider a "successful" chat conversation and enroll the contact in your workflow.

In my opinion, I would count it sooner rather than later. A user can abandon the chat for any number of reasons, some out of your control, but their contact record will still be created once they enter their email in the chat. However, if they didn't reach your workflow step before abandoning the chat, they could fly under the radar in your system.

So HubSpot will pass along chat conversion data, but it's up to you how you want to report on it and trigger additional actions. I know this is a little tricky because something like a form is either submitted or not (either the user converts or they don't). A chat conversation can potentially have partial conversions, so it's a little more difficult to track.

One other thing that I do is create chatbot-specific properties that I use only within the chatbot. For example, I'll create a "How can we help you" property with initial routing options. Whatever the user selects will save to that custom property. I then know that the only way someone can have a value for a chatbot property is to actually go through the chatbot (at least to the step that asks that question). 

Hopefully this makes sense!

Jacob Olle