Knowledge Base Tool

JustinPerkinsC
Top Contributor

Gated Portals?

SOLVE

Question... as I am looking potentially to put together more tools for customers to have access to. How have you all looked to gate your knowledge base tools for specific clients? 

-Can you gate them by domain/IE register and we recognize they are a known customer?

-Do you do approval gating? Where someone has to be approved before they log in?

-Or do you just say, we don't care everyone can log in, and just monitor it? 

Just interested in hearing folk's thoughts on putting controls around access for this data.

Appreciated,
JP

Justin Perkins
Marketing Operations Manager
JPerkins@contractlogix.com
Contract LogixLinkedin
0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Bryantworks
Solution
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Gated Portals?

SOLVE

Hey @JustinPerkinsC!

I've used both smart content (on landing pages) and registration lists (passwords & registrations) here to help with these items.  The smart content works about 80% of the time, the later 20% is affected by cookies, adblockers, etc.  Passwords typically work better in this use case, we just share them via emails to recipients that are known customers. 

Hope that helps!

Chris Bryant | Your Dedicated HubSpot Expert

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
JustinPerkinsC
Top Contributor

Gated Portals?

SOLVE

Great feedback folks and much appreciated as always. Going to experiment a bit on our end! 

Thanks,

JP

Justin Perkins
Marketing Operations Manager
JPerkins@contractlogix.com
Contract LogixLinkedin
0 Upvotes
jessebeginbound
Participant | Platinum Partner
Participant | Platinum Partner

Gated Portals?

SOLVE

Another way you could handle this is by using a custom cookie that is generated when the user clicks an opt-in button on your page. We actually developed a HubSpot Module for this. You can customize the message, cookie name, cookie expiration date, and branding. If you use the same module with the same cookie name on multiple pages, you could ensure that they only see it once. If that sounds like something that might help, you can learn more here: https://marketplace.hubspot.com/products/begin-bound/age-verification-gate

Happy HubSpotting!
Jesse

0 Upvotes
MKavanagh

Gated Portals?

SOLVE

Hi Jesse, It looks like this has been removed from the marketplace. Is there an easy way to implement an age-verification gate on my landing page?

0 Upvotes
BérangèreL
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gated Portals?

SOLVE

Hi @MKavanagh,

First, I'd like to share this article that might be of interest "Require member registration to access private content".

I also found similar threads that might help you:

- The solution from @Ben_M on this post "age verification applied to every page!"
- The solution from @jieyintan on this post "Pop-up or landing page form - fist time visit and gated"

I hope this helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,
Bérangère

Saviez-vous que la Communauté est disponible en Français ?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings!

0 Upvotes
Josh
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

Gated Portals?

SOLVE

Hi @JustinPerkinsC,

I'd echo what @Mike_Eastwood and @Bryantworks have explained. We've used smart content for gating based on an approval process. Once approved, the contact is added to the list and can access the content via list membership smart content. Again, not 100% reliable and it causes a delay.

What we're more commonly doing/seeing/recommending (depending on the circumstances) is to leave as much ungated as possible. We're finding that there's nothing proprietary in most of the knowledge base content and in some cases it can be beneficial for users to see that there is a comprehensive knowledge base as part of the buying qualification.

There are definitely some instances we've come across in which it would be nice to have a better gating system on certain types of content; for example, client-specific or potentially employee-specific like you'd see on an intranet/extranet. 

Thanks for the ping @jennysowyrda!

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

Mike_Eastwood
Key Advisor | Gold Partner
Key Advisor | Gold Partner

Gated Portals?

SOLVE

Hi Justin

It's an interesting discussion. More and more we're "ungating" content so it can be read by more people, and indexed by Google.

Smart Content works well for simple ungating to known visitors, however it's not 100% reliable. 

As Chris mentioned there are more challenges because we rely on Cookies so different devices may give the visitor different experiences (i.e. if they ungate some content on their mobile they may not see the ungated content on their laptop).

Logins and passwords are definitely an option but it's not particularly user friendly (one day we'll look back and laugh about securing sites with passwords).

I challenge you to find a way to connect over and above your content. If you can demonstrate great value with some ungated content, what's the logical next step for the visitor to take? Is it a Strategy Session, a Video Series? In other words how can you encourage more engagement on a 1:1 level?

Have fun

Mike

Bryantworks
Solution

Gated Portals?

SOLVE

Hey @JustinPerkinsC!

I've used both smart content (on landing pages) and registration lists (passwords & registrations) here to help with these items.  The smart content works about 80% of the time, the later 20% is affected by cookies, adblockers, etc.  Passwords typically work better in this use case, we just share them via emails to recipients that are known customers. 

Hope that helps!

Chris Bryant | Your Dedicated HubSpot Expert
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gated Portals?

SOLVE

Hi @JustinPerkinsC,

I want to tag in some subject matter experts to share their thoughts on this topic. 

@Josh@Mike_Eastwood@Bryantworks do you have any suggestions for @JustinPerkinsC?

Thanks,
Jenny