Inbound

agulati
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Which research methods have helped you curate your buyer persona?

A buyer persona is a fictional, generalized representation of your ideal customer. They help you understand your customers and prospective customers better. If you're in the process of conducting research to curate a buyer persona, tell us below! Give us your tips and tricks, and what research methods you've found success with. To learn more about buyer personas, check out the "Getting to Know Your Customer" lesson via HubSpot Academy.

760 Replies 760
JLobo2
Participant

Understand customer behaviors through interviews and online surveys to gather information and improve on the input given. 

0 Upvotes
JosephN

Understanding customer behavior and preferences.

SJensen8

one way that I did research on creating a buyer person is through interviews. I asked things like why did you choose to shop with us over other companies? what do you enjoy most about our store? how can we improve the shopping process for you? 

arayaneteixeira

Fazer as perguntas certas para a equipe de vendas, afinal, a equipe está mais proxima do cliente e possui interação direta com ele. Usaria as mídias digitais, como: linkedin, ultilizaria de plataformas de busca, como Google, SEMhush, entre outras.

De uma maneira geral, irira colher o maior número de informações possiveis

0 Upvotes
NFricano

Doing the right questions to the sales team + social and search listening.

VengatRajendran

First thing I will do is to dig in to Linkedin and other social media platforms, will check about any news articles available on them in google. will research about the company they work for or they own. 

gvillanueva6

understand customers behaviour 

Rakhi7

Understand customer behaviour, preference, like ofcourse soical media but I'm stll new so I'm learning. That's it thanks 

0 Upvotes
K_Bright

Outside of direct customer interviews or asking Sales & Customer Success about what drove customer decisions, I've found a lot of "aha" moments in understanding my buyers by researching articles like "How to sell to <title>" written by people that are in that role. They will share what they care about, their vendor "icks", and share stories about their best experiences. 

Gousiya
Participant

First up, I'd dig into what I already know. I'd check out who's already chatting about my stuff or buying it. Places like Google Analytics or social media give me the lowdown on who these folks are and what they're into.

Then, I'd get chatty. People love talking and sharing "wisdom". Sending out a quick survey or having a real talk with some customers can reveal tons. I'm curious about what makes them tick, what bugs them, and why they dig my product/service.

Social media is my next stop. It's like being a fly on the wall at a massive party. I listen in on what people are saying about my stuff, or even my competitors'. Forums and groups are goldmines, too, for getting the inside scoop on what my potential customers need.

Creating empathy maps is kind of fun. It's drawing out a day in the life of my customers, figuring out what gets them excited or frustrated. It makes them feel more real to me.

And, stories sell. So, I give my customer persona a name, maybe even a pet. It helps me think of them as real folks, not just data points.

Oh, and I keep tweaking these personas. As I learn more or as things change, I update their stories so they always match up with the real people I'm hoping to reach.

By doing all this, I get a clear picture of who I'm talking to and how I can make their lives a bit better with what I'm offering.

CBRACHO

I prefer to do interview with mix questions, open and close.

0 Upvotes
EOre

as i learn more about this topic, i find quality research such as in-deph interviews,  more helpful to understand buyer personas.

0 Upvotes
EQuiroz1

For me, surveis and data analysis on social media are great ways to find the buyer persona.

0 Upvotes
DMcDonald

I think questionaires and suveys are good to help gather infomation for a buyer persona if, you can find the right person(s) to complete it and have all the required questions that you need to know to build the persona. 

0 Upvotes
arodriguez015

inboud marketing with delightful methodology to for customer retention

0 Upvotes
alannarhodes
Contributor

Market research, brainstorming based on current trends and buying patterns, in-person and phone interviews, and qualitative research. 

0 Upvotes
MClinton3

The research method that I found the most sucessful was using the inbound marketing strategy and mainly using the attract stage to help curate my buyers persona.

0 Upvotes
rbetters

Surveys + analysis of other data like social media followers, subscribes to email, etc. It seems like interviews would be a good choice for B2B companies, but a weird choice for many types of B2C

AH99

Having worked in a subscription business, one of the best way of building buyer persona that I have employed is analysis of current subscribers and then interviewing a small set of subscribers to add more detailed layers and develop multiple buyer personas. While interviewing can be expensive when using external experts, it is certainly worth the cost and the effort.

Ana855
Participant

Surveys have been the have helped me create buyer personas

0 Upvotes