Inbound

chrlee
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Which of the five fundamental steps is most challenging for you?

When it comes to integrating behavioral marketing and customer segmentation into your processes there are five fundamental steps to consider:

1. Defining the interactions you want to track
  2. Implementing tracking
  3. Analyzing and reporting how people are behaving on your website
  4. Using this information to segment your contacts
  5. Using your segmentation to nurture

Which of these five fundamental steps is most challenging for you?

Share below the barriers you've experienced and how you've overcome some of them if applicable! 

To learn more about this, check out the Understanding Behavioral Marketing and Customer Segmentation lesson via HubSpot Academy.

490 Replies 490
MMarin1

I would say that applying customer segmentation after pulling a report would be the most difficult part of the process. At the end it is needed to analyze the customers well to know in which group they belong. 

EPrechtl

I think the first step is the most challenging for me. I have difficulty defining the scope and goals of a given project; once I'm given bounds to work within I'm very comfortable implementing tracking and analyzing those results, but that can all be messed up if I'm too ambitious (or reductive) at the beginning.

0 Upvotes
SMoorman34

I think the analyze and report step is the most difficult for me.  

0 Upvotes
RVishwakarma

I think the step 2 and 3 are the most challenging to me right now. As I do not know how to get started.

0 Upvotes
HPrag
Participant

While I find that each step has its challenges, they key one to get right is step 1, defining which interactions we want to track, because that forms the basis for everything going forward. And if you miss something, the rest of your plan is then not as robust as it could be.

0 Upvotes
Christina_Husse
Participant

Potentially #2 - Implementing tracking. We've used Tag Manager in the past to create triggers like 50% scroll, view thru completion and button clicks and pulled all of those types of things into a Google Data Studio - but it is a different report to see email clicks.

And then to do that so that people get the appropriate cookies and what not so you can track them based on these actions. That's just a level of technical that is outside my wheelhouse. We do have a developer we work with who sees to those things. But he's not on the projects like the rest of the team so it always slows things down and usually complicates things when trying to bring him up to speed.

0 Upvotes
EPUNO

This is the hardest

0 Upvotes
Nnamani
Participant

Implementing tracking is the hardest step to me

CDeConte

I think defining the interactions you want to track is the hardest step.  There is so much data to choose from, and it can be difficult to narrow it down to a handful of meaningful attributes.  And each industry, and the companies within those industries, are different, so there is no "one size fits all" option.

LChukwudi
Participant

This is definitely the hardest for me

AlexCoMa

The most challenging step is implementing tracking, as most of the tracked data is anonymous, and I can't get a way to interact with the customers via e-mail or any personalized way.

0 Upvotes
AnniceY

As I have not started utilizing tracking tools to track our company's digital presence, I will say Implementing Tracking is the most challenging right now. Each person in charge of their area (such as emails, HR, or social media etc) does their own analysis of the ROI within their area, I'd imagine to fully make use of the analytics would be to compile and compare accoss all the different sectors of our organisation, which is the challenge. 

0 Upvotes
oonyinyLong_pla
Participant

For me its defining the interactions I want to track

0 Upvotes
AKhan397
Contributor

Well, In my case, usually its preferred to identify the new users interacting with the content and let them give you more information in a transactional way - either giving them white papers or relevant educational webinar

0 Upvotes
CelMen

I do believe that the most challenging is defining the interactions that I want to track.

0 Upvotes
PatriciaKK

most challenging would definitely be interactions that you want to track. 

0 Upvotes
Ezrock37

Using the segmentation is the most challenging for us because the company is still so young that the directors don't see the value in investing in multichannel marketing which limits our ability to delight customers where they already are. We must rely heavily on limited options to guide customers through their buying journey. 

mayuresh2708

I think defining the interactions you want to track is the most complicated .

0 Upvotes
arad

i think the most important step is to define the interaction we would want to track because it has to be the right one to enable segmentation

SNg2
Contributor

The two steps that require a longer time to plan and execute are

implementing tracking and analysing how people are behaving on the website.

0 Upvotes
ShilpaPhattepur
Participant

I feel defining the interactions you want to track and implementing the traker is most challenging part.

0 Upvotes