Inbound Sales

KyleJepson
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How many stages are in your sales process?

Sales processes vary a lot from industry to industry and even team to team. Do you have a long sales cycle with lots of steps, or is your sales process simple and transactional? Maybe it's somewhere in between. Share the number of steps in your process below. (No need to share any company secrets--just the number will do!)

*To learn more about this, check out the How to Map a Sales Process lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

148 Replies 148
AmirWagih
Contributor | Gold Partner
Contributor | Gold Partner

7 stages

0 Upvotes
AColina
Participant

0 Upvotes
mediagarcia
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

Hi @KyleJepson , 

We use 5 pre-closed stages, closed-won, closed lost. 

We require deals to go through each stage. No skipping of stages. No starting in the middle. 

JoeBurchard
Top Contributor | Elite Partner
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

We have 5 pre-closed won and 2 post-closed won

0 Upvotes
PComrie
Participant

0 Upvotes
KJohnson05

0 Upvotes
schristm

0 Upvotes
IVolan
Contributor

Now we have  7 stages, but still, our conversion rate isn't so good, so we need to fix our selling process

0 Upvotes
ashraf072

We are in the process of figuring that out.  Thank you

0 Upvotes
Lyndon
Contributor | Platinum Partner

For my company, it's approximately 8 steps/stages for both of our pipelines. For our clients, we've helped them narrow it down to at least 5 steps.

Huich3n

great course

0 Upvotes
MZanzibarwala
Participant

Interesting. How would you do that?

Also how do you decide on the pipelines?

We have multiple products and services. These products and services go through diferrent types of stages.

0 Upvotes
Lyndon

Hey, @MZanzibarwala, thanks for the reply.

For us, the decision on the pipelines is specific to the service. i.e. CRM Implementation would be specific to our HubSpot Pipeline instead of Sales Training would fall under our Sales Enablement pipeline.

I understand your case as there are many companies with a wide range of products and services, and having multiple pipelines to manage can also be a challenge.

A good approach can be looking for similarities in your stages across your different products and services and making them your baseline/core stages or even a primary pipeline for your organisation.

The other products or services with different stages can have separate pipelines. This can help you manage the headache of managing different pipelines that can become complex over time.

I hope this was helpful in some way.

MZanzibarwala
Participant

8 for an engineering company and solutions provider with multiple solutions in Oil & gas
Preliminary engaggement, Proposal submitted, technical/ commercial clarification, deferred proposal, closed won, invoice partially submitted, all invoices submitted and closed lost

0 Upvotes
KCerminara

We are in the process of figuring that out.  This video series has been very helpfu!

0 Upvotes
HDoherty

In the same boat, this course has been so helpful in figuring out the best way forward

0 Upvotes
JDutremble47

5 (disco. , bus. case, selected, negotiation, closed won)

0 Upvotes
BBajuszik

It looking like 9 at the moment. I am going to have to examine it again after this course. 

0 Upvotes
MedNsiri

very interesting 

0 Upvotes
TEing

Awesome course!!

0 Upvotes
MTalenfeld
Contributor | Elite Partner
Contributor | Elite Partner

Good Morning, Kyle,

This course is excellent. It provides me with a framework to take what we have (to quote Jim Collins) from Good to Great. 

Our process has been informal and not as structured as we need to be in answer to this question. But that is the nature of a relatively small organization. Three years back, we finally hired a full-time marketing manager who organized our marketing in a way that we had never done before. And now, with the help of HubSpot Academy and the book "The Machine," we are creating a formalized structure.

I cannot give you the number of stages--yet. But we now have three people full-time, along with others on the team developing our playbook.

Thank you for this course and the entire HubSpot Academy program. 

0 Upvotes