Inbound Sales

KyleJepson
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How do you qualify leads?

How do you uncover your leads' needs and goals? Have you ever had a conversation where you did an especially good job getting your prospect talking? Share your stories in the comments below!

*To learn more about this, check out the Understanding the Buyer's Context lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

379 Replies 379
CColegate

One time when approaching a buyer who had sworn off my product, instead of being defensive, we talked about the type of customer she needed to attract and keep in her store. After she got past the "shoving it down your throat" mentality that she felt all sales reps did to her, we were able to talk about how to attract the customers. I threw into the conversation a few brands that I felt would help meet her needs that were not mine, but also tied the importance of my brand too. She ended up taking all 3 brands in, and we grew a very successful category in her store that was one of the most profitable sets. 

0 Upvotes
LNLatina
Participant

From the industry I worked, it's mostly a linear goal, so I tend focus on the challenges and plans the client is open to discuss.

0 Upvotes
kMejías
Participant

In the explore phase of the inbound sales strategy, the key to qualifying leads is to engage in exploratory conversations that feel empowering for the prospect. This involves employing the CGP, TCI, BA framework to understand the prospect's context thoroughly.

Starting with Challenges (C), we explore what hurdles the prospect faces that might impede their progress. We then discuss Goals (G), understanding what the prospect aims to achieve and how their challenges are preventing them from reaching these goals. Plans (P) come next, where we learn about the strategies they've considered or are implementing to address these challenges.

The Timeline (T) aspect assesses when they need to accomplish their goals, which helps us understand the urgency behind their needs. We explore the Consequences (C) of not meeting their goals on time and the Implications (I) of successfully achieving them, which motivates the prospect to act within their timeline.

Finally, we consider their Budget (B) for achieving these goals and the Authority (A) needed to move forward with a solution. Understanding the prospect's budgetary constraints and decision-making process is critical to aligning our offerings with their financial expectations and ensuring the right stakeholders are involved in the decision.

By using this framework, we can guide prospects toward the best possible outcome by aligning our understanding of their challenges, goals, plans, timeline, consequences, implications, budget, and authority with the solutions we offer.

0 Upvotes
Eric888

cgp tci ba

0 Upvotes
TScheepers

Generally (in my industry), we already know what their challange is, but the CGPTCIBA framework is still helpful in uncovering additional issues which we and/or the client may not be aware of by way of a natural-flowing yet structured conversation. 

0 Upvotes
J-Arnaiz

Previously, qualifying leads felt intimidating. Without a framework for asking the right questions, I struggled to identify good-fit prospects. Building rapport came naturally, but follow-up conversations often stalled. The "CGP TCI BA" framework is a game-changer! Not only does it make sense, but I'm excited to put it into practice with my current leads and see the results.

0 Upvotes
AFarmakalidis

In the process of qualifying leads, I formulate questions designed to understand their needs and objectives for their business. Subsequently, I leverage my experience to address the challenges they're encountering, offering a tailored strategy complete with defined goals, a detailed plan, a timeline, and a suitable budget.

Suhaib_Sohail

I see their level of interest their willingness of achieving the goal, their timeline and pretty much the CGP

PRenteria

I utilize CGP, ask questions, and reflect on challenges and goals.

CMeagher

I systematically use the spin method of asking questions then more follow up questions their is a reason you have 2 ears and 1 mouth the prospect should do most of the talking then you can propose a solution when you got a general context of what their needs are

Piti23

By asking open ended questions? rephrasing what you understood and asking the prospect if you understood it corectly and after understanding their situation asking if a potential solution that you can offer would potentially solve the problem.

0 Upvotes
Nack

In my context of qualifying leads, I come up with the questions to get to know my leads whether they look for solution and what they want their business to achieve. Then I will follow by my experience relate to what they are facing with a clear goal, plan, timeline, and budget. 

0 Upvotes
AHenderson65

Ask questions

0 Upvotes
VVerma5

By implimenting CGP and understanding the clients point of view on those

0 Upvotes
CLonergan

By understanding the challenges and goals and coming up with a plan

usingh58

It usually happens by understanding indirectly about their challenges & goals and then coming up with plan

MYusuf9

By using cgp, you can find others to what the prospect needs and wants are.

0 Upvotes
MWilondja

To effectively qualify leads, begin by outlining the characteristics of your ideal customer. This involves assessing factors like industry, company scale, geographical location, and revenue.

0 Upvotes
PuputFebrianti

I'm currently working in the fashion industry. Some leads have conversations with my team, which is customer support. The customer talks about the order they want, especially emphasizing that it must be ready at the right time.

I believe my team already uses the CGP, TCI, and BA methodologies. At the CGP stage, my team explores more about their problems: what they want, what kind of events they need to attend with a specific dress code or uniform, and what the best outfit they're expecting is.

If we get the information, we'll move on to discuss the timeline and the consequences. If they don't get the right dress they want, what will happen? What if they don't know about the time and just want to make an order, leaving everything to us?

At the final stage, we'll talk about the best model recommendations, the size, the deadline, and the pricing.

Because of this flow, we know whether we can make a deal with the customer based on the conversations. If the problems don't match and are not related to our product, we can't help. We can assess the quality of our leads during the conversation. If we match, we match.

MKillion
Participant

To qualify leads, assess them against criteria such as Budget, Authority, Need, and Timing (BANT). This involves determining if they have the budget for your product or service, the authority to make purchasing decisions, a clear need your solution can address, and a timeframe that aligns with your sales cycle. These factors help gauge a lead's readiness to buy and prioritize sales efforts effectively.

0 Upvotes