Humans of HubSpot

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Humans of HubSpot: Jen Bergren

Hey Community, 

This week we want to spotlight Jen Bergren you might know her as @JenBergren

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 8.21.48 AM.png

Jen shared how she started using HubSpot and what she does for work. Discover what she does in her free time and with whom she would like to have dinner.

Tell us about yourself

I am the Senior Operations Manager at a HubSpot RevOps agency called Remotish. We do very technical work in HubSpot. We transitioned from calling ourselves martech to revops last year when we discovered that was actually what we were providing clients with, across all their teams. When I was researching RevOps during this transition, I realized there was very little consistent info online about RevOps. There have been a growing number of events/webinars/podcasts/social posts but not a lot of consistent all in one place, or searchable text content. I decided since I was doing all this research anyways I should combine it with another life goal: writing a book! While doing this research I discovered the wider world of Ops as well and how that was actually what I had been best at in my past careers in design, photography, business owner, and more. So recently we transitioned my role to officially be Ops, most of which I was already doing. Since reading and writing are my other interests, the book fulfills those needs!

How did you start using HubSpot? Was it in your current role, or a different role?

I started using HubSpot at a previous agency for one of their client's blog and social media, when I had an internship to change careers into marketing while in grad school. I really liked HubSpot and went to local HubSpot user groups, which were run by my now-boss Nicole. When I was looking for a new role I saw her post on Linkedin for "employee #1" for her new agency now known as Remotish. I replied and eventually started work for her and have had about 5 roles in the 2 years since then 🙂

Tell us a little bit about your company and your position.

Since we are a small agency in year 3, we just hired our first salesperson and don't have a marketing team, so while we were originally thinking my next/current role would be RevOps, that didn't make sense without all 3 teams (sales, marketing, CS) in place yet. So I am in charge of ALL the ops instead, mwa ha ha! We had a pretty good ops foundations in place since I came up through most of the other roles first, defining the roles and and created and documented process on my way up. When i was in the people management role we focused on training people to think operationally (did I mention documentation enough yet? For example: back up plans for every person on the team, so someone else can take over their role temporarily if needed) and we know our clients see the value in our organization skills and process. Some of the areas I oversee are the project management system, training, process development & documentation, billing & payments, our referral partnership program (not exactly ops but it is getting a lot of ops improvements right now!), systems & admin (tech stack, reporting, internal communication, etc.), and the weird category of company events and gifts (defining budget, process, reporting, etc to make it easy to hand off to an assistant later on). Right now the referral partner program has my attention since it brings in revenue, for example we just put a referral partners custom object in place in HubSpot to make a directory for our team to find partner to refer, attach partners to companies, contacts, and deals, and more to help make the program better and easier to manage internally before we create partner-facing improvements. My role is basically anything I can do to make things more efficient and less reliant on people remembering to do things, less guessing at what should happen, and less recreating the wheel!

What do you do for fun outside of work?

Reading, exercising, walking my crazy orange foxy dog Tawny, dreaming of traveling to Europe (maybe 2022!), learning French, watching too much TV and movies.

If you could have dinner with anyone in the world. (past or present), who would it be and why?

I am terrible at answering questions like this, especially in person, being put on the spot to name one thing or a favorite thing 🙂 I cannot think of any one person I'd like to meet in person, I'm not much of a talker so that is not super appealing and is actually making me stress out thinking about it, haha.

Thank you for sharing a little bit about yourself with us @JenBergren! Where are your travels taking you this year? 🌍

Do you want to keep in touch with Jen? Connect with her on LinkedIn

Stay tuned for our next Humans of HubSpot post for next week!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
8 Replies 8
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

@TiphaineCuisset can help you practice your French! Thank you for sharing @JenBergren! Keep us posted on your book - sounds like a future Community book club may be needed 🙌 

JenBergren
Guide

Thank you @jennysowyrda  and yes for French practice with @TiphaineCuisset ! 🙂 @Camille_Balhorn can join!

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Human-Centered Operations Leader, HubSpot SuperFan, Instructional Design and Lifelong Learning Advocate
Connect with me on Linkedin
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

Avec plaisir !! 😉 🇫🇷

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

Yourfriend_adam
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

Agree 💯with @Camille_Balhorn , well-deserved and congratulations on being featured, @JenBergren !

JenBergren
Guide

Thanks so much @Yourfriend_adam !

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Human-Centered Operations Leader, HubSpot SuperFan, Instructional Design and Lifelong Learning Advocate
0 Upvotes
JenBergren
Guide

Thank you @Camille_Balhorn ! Merci beaucoup!

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Camille_Balhorn
Contributor | Diamond Partner
Contributor | Diamond Partner

A well-deserving HubSpot Human to be featured! 🎉

JenBergren
Guide

Wow! I am honored to be featured! Thank you @kvlschaefer !

Thanks!
Jen Bergren