HubSpot for Nonprofits

quantum

Suitability for Non-profit Groups

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating HubSpot to see if it may be suitable for use with our non-profit organization. 

We work with the following 'groups' of individuals: donors, prospective committee members, committee members, prospective event participants (multiple events), and event participants (multiple events). A person may belong to one of the above groups or several of them.

I have a number of questions related to the best way to track these individuals and their actions in HubSpot.

1. What's the best way to record whether a person belongs to any of the above groups, keeping in mind that they may belong to multiple groups?

2. If a custom property is created using multiple checkboxes, is it possible to import updated lists without erasing the previous info (e.g. if a contact is already recognized as having participated in a certain event, and then a new list is uploaded that indicates they participated in another event, how can I prevent the first event from being overwritten (want both to appear as it would if I were to manually check them both)?

3. If you import a list, is it possible to view the contacts that you just imported so that you can quickly identify which contacts you would like to do a bulk edit for?

4. What is the best way to track revenue associated with participation (e.g. participated in X event and raised X amount) and donations, keeping in mind that there may be multiple amounts raised/donated (e.g. they participated in X event and raised X $, and then participated in Y event and raised Y $)?

6. Is there a way to tally the total amount of funds raised and/or amounts donated over a lifespan?

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
nicolebrenner
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @quantum, welcome to the community. You've got a lot going on in this question, so I'll try and provide the most comprehensive response by addressing each question individually below. However, within this question I've identified two themes: Contact Properties and Deals. In order to keep this forum relevant and searchable for all of our users, it would be great if you could repost questions 4 and 5 as their own individual post so that it can be addressed separately. In the meantime, I've provided answers to your other questions below! 

1. There are a couple of options when it comes to identifiying a contact as part of an individual group. The first way would be to create custom contact properties for each of these groups, and treat them as separate properties (E.g. Create a property for Donors, Prospective Committee Members, etc.) and then indicate with a "Yes" or a "No" for each of these individual properties whether the contact meets that criteria. As an alternative, you could create one contact property for all of these groups (such as "Member Status") and select any of the relevant options from the available checkboxes. This can be updated at any time, and would be my best recommendation. 

2. You can append values to existing multiple checkbox fields upon import by adding a semi colon. If you are updating exiting properties, the values should start with a semicolon (e.g. ;value1; value 2; value 3) whereas if you are starting a new list, just use semicolons to separate items on a list (e.g. value 1; value 2; value 3). 

3. Within the CRM, there best way to create a list of imported contacts is to build a view that follows this logic: 

Create Date is equal to "Date of Import"

AND

Original source is equal to "Import"

This will compile a list of all contacts who meet the stated criteria, which should capture all contacts imported on a particular date. 

I hope this helps you better understand our product! If you could create a new post with your remaining deal related questions, someone will be able to respond to those queries as well. 

quantum

Thanks! I had previously used the one contact property with multiple options, but couldn't figure out how to upload additional info without erasing the previous data. The semi-colon worked!

With regards to finding the names that were recently imported, what if the contact was already created (and the import was just amending their profile)? I tried using the filter below, but it only showed me people who were created for the first time on that particular date.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes