What makes a compelling blog post?

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor

Blog posts enable you and your business to publish insights, thoughts, and stories on your website about any topic. They can help you boost brand awareness, credibility, conversions, and revenue. Most importantly, they can help you drive traffic to your website.

But take a moment and think about the last blog post you read. What made you want to read it? How did you feel after you finished? Did you make it to the end? What makes a blog post compelling and engaging?

Bonus points: Got a blog or blog post you keep returning to? Share it for the group in the comments below!

*To learn more about this, check out the Understanding Blogging in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

296 Replies 296
VanyaPetrova

It really depends on the Audience - however, short, clean phrazes, visually neat and easy to digest shapes, is what I belive can keep most people read and respond to a content. 

0 Upvotes
MoussaMazouzi
Contributor

membre

0 Upvotes
MWood95

Unique and quirky gets my attention

0 Upvotes
LdaSilveira
Participant

I enjoy blog post that are clear, informative and relevant. 

MRichards3
Participant

Compelling Headline - Relevant content - provide solutions and insights into readers pain points

0 Upvotes
ReneeOHM

reading you! 

0 Upvotes
HTweed

I love well-written blogs that contain some of the personality of the author.

mwil19
Participant

Best blogs provide links to real-world examples of the topics being discussed so it is not just theoretical. We find concise blogs work better, and try and keep them under 1500 words.

LNarayanan

The blogposts or articles on Litmus are fantastic. 

I find blog posts with examples, references, and numbers the most compelling. 

As a marketer, I find that the posts that use a LOT of testimonials are repetitive. (I mean, i know the testimonials are there mainly for social shares/backlinks, so am not a fan).

0 Upvotes
MoussaMazouzi
Contributor

Participant

0 Upvotes
McelMaturgo
Participant

I enjoy reading blogs that are both informative and inspirational.

Sree2

An excellent title
constructed contetnt - interesting and engaging 
Good summary 
Eye catching visuals and graphics

0 Upvotes
AGeorgiadis

The last blog post that I read was a recipe to cook something. I read it because I wanted to learn how to make that speficic kind of chicken. After I read it and made the chicken, I felt accomplished. The recipe also turned out to be good. To me personally, for a food blog post, I like them to be short and sweet. I like when the recipes are simple and easy to follow. For a regular blog post, I like when pictures are included to show what they are talking about. 

0 Upvotes
MTannerACT

a good blog post should contain:

A compelling title/ hookline,

Insightful content

collaboration with team members

images 

0 Upvotes
LynnSed
Participant

I think that a great blog post is one where it's clear what the topic is (from title) and the content delivers. I like to skim through the post so good sub-headings, lists, images etc. are all super helpful. Then, if I need more details, I read the body text. 

0 Upvotes
JQuick

A compelling blog post should include an eye-catching headline, relevant and up to date information that is interesting, and information relevant to your specific audience. 

0 Upvotes
tristapruridge
Participant

A headline that catches the eye, an opening of one or two sentences that hooks the reader, and content that either solves a problem, explains your product/experience, or tells a story. Good visuals + links to further information (of applicable) are also great assets of a good blog post!

0 Upvotes
NDoyle
Participant

Intersting headline, eyecatching but keep it simple and to the point.

0 Upvotes
RGKimball

Compelling headline

0 Upvotes
UtopianK
Contributor

A blog post that answers a question with well thought out visuals, layout structure, and informative content.