CMS for Marketers

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

What makes a compelling blog post?

Blog posts enable you and your business to publish insights, thoughts, and stories on your website about any topic. They can help you boost brand awareness, credibility, conversions, and revenue. Most importantly, they can help you drive traffic to your website.

But take a moment and think about the last blog post you read. What made you want to read it? How did you feel after you finished? Did you make it to the end? What makes a blog post compelling and engaging?

Bonus points: Got a blog or blog post you keep returning to? Share it for the group in the comments below!

*To learn more about this, check out the Understanding Blogging in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

735 Replies 735
BWeinstein1
Member | Platinum Partner

Authenticity and relevance, with a dash of humor when applicable, usually works for me.

0 Upvotes
AndreaP
Participant

For a blog to be engaging, it is necessary that the topic and the way of talking is directed to the public to which you want to communicate, besides, if you choose subtopics of great interest and that have not been mentioned in other blogs, you will have a unique blog. In addition, I think it is important to ask questions, mention the problem and solutions to the topic, this to generate interest and conversation.

0 Upvotes
LukasKr
Contributor

As with any text, you should have your audience in mind. 

What questions does the reader have while reading your article? Why should I read this? What will I find in this article? Is this worth my while? 

Interesting, how can I apply this to my situation? Why should I keep reading? How does this relate to what I already know about the topic?

If you are good at answering the question exactly when this question pops up in your readers head, you are writing a good blog post. Use pictures and headlines or quotes to break up the reading flow when you need the reader to think about what they just read.

0 Upvotes
AW21
Participant

I agree!

0 Upvotes
ESingletary

Since the reader seeks a blog post to solve a problem or answer a question, the blog should show empathy to the reader as it relates to the problem they are trying to solve, then provide succinct and relevant information and perhaps even including a bit of humor helps too, if it is appropriate for the topic of course. 

0 Upvotes
EYoung-Colliers

Blog posts need to be relevant to the reader and provide information they can reference or use while keeping them entertained/engaged. If I am reading about something useful, but it's written in difficult-to-read language or on a funky background I wont' finish it. There have also been instances where there were either so many ads I couldn't read the article OR  it required a subscription, but was posted on a public forum. 

0 Upvotes
AChristopoulo

A compelling blog post consists of quality information related to your business goals and marketing strategy. Therefore, sharing stories, developing a sense of expertise as well as sharing about your company are all strong ways to develop blog posts.

0 Upvotes
EMurphy5

Agreed!

0 Upvotes
JT20

The last blog I read I wanted to keep reading because it had something to do about a specific medical outbreak in europe a couple years ago. It was written by a european blogger who lived in germany. Upon finishing the blog I felt more informed and relieved to know there was medicine for said medical outbreak. what made her blog more compelling for me was that she was living in the midst of it all. It wasnt as if she was in american writing about it. She was literally in the middle of it all telling us all about it in detail. 

0 Upvotes
CPage513
Member | Elite Partner
Member | Elite Partner

• Speaks to your target persona's pain points
  • Gives helpful, actionable advice  
  • Doesn't just restate the obvious and provides your company's/ thought leader's unique thoughts/ perspective
  • Links back to other related content  

0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

An engaging blog title, photo and reputable blog author all make me want to read a blog post. After reading I feel well-informed and educated on the topic.  I do sometimes skip sentences or paragraphs if they are full of marketing-speak or facts I already know.

0 Upvotes
CDRonk

A blog post should entertain, educate the ready, or solve a problem. A great blog post will do two or all three while avoiding the obvious sales pitch. A blog post should also add credibility to your brand and add value to your website.

0 Upvotes
MTelepneff

In the B2B software market, both users and technology software providers serving those users are seeking peer opinion, analyst metrics, use case details and generally any methodology to reduce risk and embrace an industry best practice. 

0 Upvotes
IMedley
Participant

In my line of work, we solve IT business problems.  We provide so much value to companies and we feel like our message isn't being heard. We want to show everyone how much time, money, and effort we can save your team by giving us a simple phone call.  Once the Marketing team realized this we started creating blogs around common problems and not us.  We wanted to focus on engaging the reader and giving them an "Ah Ha" moment.  Relating pain and problems to readers and then saying we have the solution at the bottom (with a CTA) has started to really grasp more readers and fill in the top of the funnel 

0 Upvotes
MJones15

Engaging, relative topics to your audience and short.

0 Upvotes
Chaudhary

It should add value to the knowledgebase and business of your prospect

0 Upvotes
MAdviento

Blogs that are very relevant with 100% quality content.

0 Upvotes
COcasio
Contributor

Images that are unique to the blog topic, truly offers advice needed, concise, and humor/creative touch. 

0 Upvotes
Rituparna
Participant

A blog post should give information to the reader. This could be related to a project your organisation has worked on.  Someone reading the post now could be a potential customer as he has reached this resource looking for a product or a sevice in a similar area. 

https://techcrunch.com/?guccounter=1

is a blog i keep refering to 

0 Upvotes
VMolina

A good blog post is a reference that one could totally relate, refer, and come back to. It is something that strucks readers' attention to read more. On a personal note, I believe a good blog post is a combination of wise choice of words and a good visual representation.

0 Upvotes
CarlScorer

Whether I am interested in a topic or not, a well-structured, well researched and a well written article is a universal must. A blog must be interesting or insightful, don’t overshoot on the heading and underdeliver on the content. 

0 Upvotes