CMS for Marketers

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

What makes a compelling blog post?

Blog posts enable you and your business to publish insights, thoughts, and stories on your website about any topic. They can help you boost brand awareness, credibility, conversions, and revenue. Most importantly, they can help you drive traffic to your website.

But take a moment and think about the last blog post you read. What made you want to read it? How did you feel after you finished? Did you make it to the end? What makes a blog post compelling and engaging?

Bonus points: Got a blog or blog post you keep returning to? Share it for the group in the comments below!

*To learn more about this, check out the Understanding Blogging in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

735 Replies 735
CmmWatson
Participant

I have written many blog posts and the best ones are easily digested amounts of pertinent information- top 5 lists are great - Top 5 Ways to Increase your SEO for example. 

0 Upvotes
NBhongale

Blogs features are awesome.

0 Upvotes
TeeDeeDubya

But take a moment and think about the last blog post you read. What made you want to read it?

It was relevant to what I was wanting to learn about, it was relatively short, there was plenty of white-space that provided some rest for my brain, the title drew me in, it was well written and engaging. 

How did you feel after you finished?  I felt as if I had gained something new and was enlightened about the topic.  I did make it through to the end.  

What makes a blog post compelling and engaging?  All of the factors I listed above.

0 Upvotes
NMPohl
Contributor

This was awhile ago but stuck around in my saved content from LinkedIn: https://hughesintegrated.com/write-emails-people-want-to-read/

What made me want to read it was that it presented a reasonable number of specific solutions to improve something I do every day. Low commitment, specific, and relevant to me. I will read 90% of blogs that fit those three categories!

0 Upvotes
MWilson2

A good blog educates the reader on a particular topic and drives the user to the next step, it could be to purchase a product, try a service or contact a rep.  The information is consise and includes strong visuals to keep the reader interested.  A good blog is also backed by strong SEO keywords to align with the business goals to grow ranking. 

0 Upvotes
EEllington

offer something interesting and relevant. or add something people can engage in

0 Upvotes
FNasso
Participant

I believe a invinting title, together with strong arguments and examples with follow up links makes a very good blog post.

0 Upvotes
ACrouch
Contributor

We do not currently have a blog. We are assigning that role to our marketing strategy soon. How many blog topics should we start with? Do you plan your topics week by week? month by month? 

I do not read blogs, personally unless it is someone I know and someone who I value.

0 Upvotes
sanoobar
Participant

A good blog post must either cater to the curiosity or the need of the reader and make it an engaging read with some good takeaways.

0 Upvotes
SSuruchi

Hi,

An appealing blog post should consist of an engaging and meaningful story that is directly related to the topic it is covering. It should also consist of simple words and relatable examples. While reading any blog post, people tend to imagine the scenario in their mind. So making a blog post as close as to the reality is suggested. 

The last blog post I read was about an animal rescue team who have rescued more than a thousand animals from meat farms and breeders. It was heart-touching and had good success stories. After reading it I felt inspired to do something similar. 

Thanks,

Soumya

0 Upvotes
GColl2

relatability as well as communicating value or something the reader can directly connect with

0 Upvotes
AndreaStar
Contributor

"Brevity is the soul of wit." - William Shakespeare

Wordy posts feel like I am wasting my time. I appreciate the art of quality content writing, but if you are writing just to meet a word count it isn't going to be worth my time to read.

0 Upvotes
MLamothe

I think the most important are: 

* Nice look of the page, nice images, good letter size, clean and organized look. 

* Fun and easy to read text.

* Interesting content. 

0 Upvotes
HAdesayo
Member | Partner
Member | Partner

A good blog post should be readable
0 Upvotes
bsorden
Participant

A compelling blog is that of interest to those who want to read the blog. Providing interesting information that will help the reader feel like they learned something. Our blogs are informative and help our customers get a better understanding of our products https://olive.com/olive-blog/

0 Upvotes
MLitwa
Participant

I think you have to grab people's attention with an intriguing title or subject line.  Blog titles that contain questions are most likely to capture my attention and earn a click.

0 Upvotes
Ash11

Offered something that I would have searched for. Was able to learn something from it without having to read a ton. Broken up by topic and had visuals. 

STasci
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

A good blog must have a strong purpose and fulfil that purpose as concisely as possible

0 Upvotes
MBouwmeester

A good blog post is in essence a blog post which interests the target group. Via this way, customers can be drawn to your website or other blogs for example.

0 Upvotes
ARahbek
Participant

A good blogpost is to the point and shares views on an interessting topic.

0 Upvotes
apurva

1. Have a sense of purpose
2. Eye-catching titles
3. Making it personal
4. Building anticipation
5. Making it Scan-able

0 Upvotes