HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Pitfalls to Avoid When Creating Landing Pages

Creating and optimizing landing pages is a crucial step in your lead generation efforts. What's a common mistake I always see and try to avoid? Not having a second offer or CTA on the thank you page.

It’s a smart move to keep your primary offer nice and clean on your landing page and not confuse people with multiple CTAs. However, once you’ve given the promised content to the lead, you are wise to garner their support by asking them to do something whilst they are "hot."

I always suggest making sure you utilize the thank-you page to place another CTA or offer. For example, you could ask people to share the content via a Click to Tweet link.

*To learn more about this, check out the Creating Landing Pages in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

535 Replies 535
GDutkiewicz

Avoid too much text and clutter, keep it simple, use a contrasting button with a clear CTA, and limit the number of fields in your form to decrease barriers and increase conversion rates.

0 Upvotes
SHerner
Participant

Keeping it simple is a winning approach. Communicating clearly with minimal distractions. 

0 Upvotes
BMuthuramalin

Key points compelling the target audience to respond should be our goal. Other items on the landing page are simply waste.

EWilson38

Design that is not consistent throughout the page. A landing page should be direct and have a specific call to action (CTA). It is not a single page website. It's important to know your target audience and write compelling copy to get them to convert and design a landing page that is consistent in directing customers to the CTA.

NAlexandra
Participant

Avoid! Too! Many! Exclamation! Points!

Jenny26
Top Contributor

Avoid copy that is vague & unclear. Also, forms with more fields than needed are a pitfall as well.

cdegobbi13

My two biggest pet peeves on a landing page are 1) too much copy and 2) too many (required) form fields to populate. 

kelvinoyibo
Participant

present your page to be customer friendly, and avoid long forms

AFischerVye
Participant

Adding too much marketing speak. Examples: maximize, leverage, harness, breakthrough, groundbreaking, etc. 

KJones0
Contributor

In the past, adding too many fields to my form (for the business's benefit) or using CTAs which are too similar too often. 

JOsborne3

Give Us a Try

Discover ... 

Grab ... 

Act Quick

lwelder
Contributor

Keep it skimmable and simple so the reader catches the important info and can visibly see the CTA.

DAnton6

Text - making the copy too long or too wordy. I tend to be too creative with the copy and put way too much that could get the point in a much shorter wording.

GDunn3

Too many images... 

sadirahmanbd
Contributor

call to action button

0 Upvotes
MPeña23

It might even be great if you explain in your landing pages "why" the lead should give their data 

CHadley

I sometimes tend to enter too many fields and need to simplify everything down so I'm not concentrating on too much at once.

0 Upvotes
StephenR
Participant

I tend to concentrate on too many items at once. I need to simplify.

0 Upvotes
LSchreiber
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

Too many fields too fill out. This seems to only benefit one side - the company!  Also, not putting in a section for country. 

SGamit

It should be easy to navigate and submit or subscription button should be clearly visible and the whole page should be  like give whole company value on one page

0 Upvotes
TanuSobti

Keep the overall tone and CTA simple and concise.