HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Pitfalls to Avoid When Creating Landing Pages

Creating and optimizing landing pages is a crucial step in your lead generation efforts. What's a common mistake I always see and try to avoid? Not having a second offer or CTA on the thank you page.

It’s a smart move to keep your primary offer nice and clean on your landing page and not confuse people with multiple CTAs. However, once you’ve given the promised content to the lead, you are wise to garner their support by asking them to do something whilst they are "hot."

I always suggest making sure you utilize the thank-you page to place another CTA or offer. For example, you could ask people to share the content via a Click to Tweet link.

*To learn more about this, check out the Creating Landing Pages in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

535 Replies 535
rachcharboneau
Contributor

Love this. Another thing to note is to make sure the copy is clear, concise, and conversational. A complete stranger to your brand should clearly understand your offer. 

RPeres
Member | Elite Partner
Member | Elite Partner

I think that's a great idea to have a cta on the thank you page. 

0 Upvotes
MDelBianco

I think that the a LP used to convert users has to be minimal, elegant and compelling. In nutshells, straightforward and aligned with the premise. If you do collect minimum information it's rather important to find a way to get more info after the press the CTA. Welcome flows or additionals forms can serve the objective.

KRutkovskaya

I think that a good landing page should be not overweight with the information. Short text, clear structure and clear call-to-action

0 Upvotes
JamesLaw

Make it look well - and pleasing on the idea with straight forward language 

0 Upvotes
MartinBailey

Have a healthy mix of text and images - not to heavy on either. Keep the form short and sweet.

0 Upvotes
MMarxen
Contributor

Don't ask for too much information too quickly. It may "scare off" some users. Keep it super simple and see if you can begin pulling them along in the follow up, where something else is collected in exchange for another piece of information. Big,lengthy forms, are too tedious for most people and they won't continue. 

0 Upvotes
LDavison7
Participant

We just recently added a second CTA on our completion/thank you page - this will hopefully keep our leads/customers engaged with our branded content.

0 Upvotes
DSaltmer
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

Avoid having images that are too large and will make the page load slower

0 Upvotes
KLishok

too much info

0 Upvotes
SPetrov

It's important to keep your landing page content as concise as possible. 

0 Upvotes
EVlad
Contributor

Overloading the page with too much information is something that might distract the visitors. Being clear, precise and convincing. Talking about benefits of the content.

APopuri
Contributor

True, Jorie. The effectivenes of a lanfing page depends on the simplicity of its structure and the clarity of the message conveyed through it,

IUpton

Avoid creating distractions that distract visitor from filling in the form or CTA

MSanford4

test

0 Upvotes
ALajthia

Helpful information

0 Upvotes
Shahbaz
Contributor | Diamond Partner
Contributor | Diamond Partner

I love this idea. I believe there's real opportunity in making that second ask, or even a third ask if the person is really excited about a brand. The act of sharing is a declaration of appreciation by the customer. I suggest that a trigger be created to cause the company to immediately like the post or tweet. 

Migrate. Setup. Integrate. Create Co-opetition with us! https://app.hubspot.com/meetings/Shahbaz
0 Upvotes
DSivasasathee

I belive the content should be short and limited due to customers scan content most of the time. The CTA's are nomrally long as a sentence which can give a idea of the business isnt professional. As far as I have leanred the best is to not decorate it with too many images, have some ngative space to breath and also have an engaging text copy.

0 Upvotes
PDXBarb
Contributor

Minimum content with only pertinent information, fast loading speed, and a clear, easy-to-see CTA is key, as is the thank you.

SKumar46
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

Some times missed to have a thank you page on CTA

0 Upvotes
NSingh1
Contributor

Limited CTA for a landing page and easy mobile access.

0 Upvotes