HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Formateur inbound
Formateur inbound

Pitfalls to Avoid When Creating Landing Pages

Creating and optimizing landing pages is a crucial step in your lead generation efforts. What's a common mistake I always see and try to avoid? Not having a second offer or CTA on the thank you page.

It’s a smart move to keep your primary offer nice and clean on your landing page and not confuse people with multiple CTAs. However, once you’ve given the promised content to the lead, you are wise to garner their support by asking them to do something whilst they are "hot."

I always suggest making sure you utilize the thank-you page to place another CTA or offer. For example, you could ask people to share the content via a Click to Tweet link.

*To learn more about this, check out the Creating Landing Pages in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

535 Réponses
AMooney
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

For me some of the mistakes include showing the navigation bar on the top. This gives too many exit points. I like having clear CTAs. 

Although a big factor is where the visitor is coming from. If they are coming from Google Ads they are hotter as they are searching for you or your service / product. FB ads are colder leads.

If they are hotter leads you may need less information on the landing page. You may need a small amount of information with a clear form for them to fill in to contact you

SavinaySadh
Participant

Avoid information overload at all costs and optimize it as much as as possible so that it's quick to load. for better user experience and minimize bounce backs.

DLaughlin
Membre | Partenaire solutions Platinum
Membre | Partenaire solutions Platinum

The more straightforward and direct we have made the landing page the more successful.  Ask for the minimum amount of information.  Don't be afraid to stack the landing page offer.  As an example, in a direct purchase scenario we have had success splitting the landing page in two.  We simply asked for name and email on first page and then credit card and shipping information on a second page.  It improved conversion over having just a single lander.

LAbalena
Membre

An effective landing page should trigger the desired action that we want our readers to do after they've visited our website. It should direct the prospect to the next life cycle stage or down the sales funnel. So having a clear flow of anatomy plays a big factor in sending our message across to our target lead.

0 Votes
KLaing
Membre

Try to avoid having large images which cause the page to load slowly.

LynnSed
Participant

I like to offer other content on the thank you page to continue the visitor's journey. It's work to make sure you update those thank-you pages when you get new great content, but I think it's worth it. 

Ana_Widas
Participant

Hi All, 

I am creating the landing page for the fisrt time,can you clarify these from attached image?

what is website ? - what link should i select  or is it the migrate website address 

what is Page name? Description 

As while doing hubspot s/w course under creating landing page I am not able to find the answers to these.

Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 10.35.52 AM.png

0 Votes
AhmadKhan
Participant

Hi Ana, based on my knowledge,
Website: Its the website domain you want to set up the landing page on (i.e www.AnaWidas.com) HubSpot gives you a Hubspot-branded domain if you have set yours up you might see that as well.

Page name: is the name of the page that you use to describe the page Internally. It different than the URL slug (which you can define later in settings
Hope this helps

MRichards3
Participant

Pitfall to avoid when setting up a landing page are distractiing copy or images that are not relevant to the overall message of the page which is a CTA to convert visitors into leads. 

0 Votes
ReneeOHM
Participant

avoid too much content, or several CTAs

Elreen
Participant

Will it also be effective to add another CTA with a different name but the same URL? Like another highlight that directs them to sign up or click your CTA?

0 Votes
LNarayanan
Membre

A common mistake on the landing page I notice (and I catch myself doing sometimes), is have more than one message/CTA/offer per page. 

It is SOOO tempting to get a lead who has downloaded content to also subscribe to your blog. 

But, I try to keep that for the thank you pages!

MoussaMazouzi
Contributeur

Participant

0 Votes
McelMaturgo
Participant

I think one of those:

we should avoid multiple CTA, understandable content with correct spelling and correct grammar

0 Votes
Sree2
Membre

Have a CTA
easy to understand
links that work
quick and simple 
presentable layout 

0 Votes
BukunmiOdetayo
Contributeur de premier rang | Partenaire solutions
Contributeur de premier rang | Partenaire solutions

• Not using a clear headline that tells the visitors what to expect
  • Digressing from the main reason why you created the landing page
  • Inconsitency between what the header tells the visitors and the copy of body text
  • Forms that ask unnecessary or too personal information from the visitors at the first time of ther visit
  • CTAs that have been used extensively and don't convince visitors they will get values if they leave their information, etc.

Bukunmi (Matt) Odetayo

Discuss Your Hubspot Needs

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

AGeorgiadis
Membre

I also think it is important to have one CTA on the ladning page. You want to make the process as easy and quick as possible. 

0 Votes
MTannerACT
Membre

Its important to have one core CTA and not many that will confuse the audience.

Forms should be straightforward and easy to use

0 Votes
JQuick
Membre

Landing pages should catch your potential customer's attention, include relevant information, and have a CTA! The CTA should match what you are offering, so if you are trying to get someone to download content, the CTA should be Download Now! Make sure the content is fresh and relevant to who you are targeting. 

0 Votes
CMottl
Membre

You want your landing page to be eye-catching, yet simple. Avoid using loud or crazy patterns that can distract visitor from your core message. Balance the language in your form to be casually professional, and proof-read for any grammatical or spelling errors. Avoid extremely informal or formal forms of speech, as it can come off as either immature or go over the visitors head. Keep the landing page straight forward, and don't confuse the visitor with mutliple choices of action. One is enough! And don't forget to thank them for the time they've taken to invest in the services your company provided. They could've gone to another website, yet they chose to stay and get to know you better!

0 Votes
ACraig1
Participant

Ensuring all links work!