HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Pitfalls to Avoid When Creating Landing Pages

Creating and optimizing landing pages is a crucial step in your lead generation efforts. What's a common mistake I always see and try to avoid? Not having a second offer or CTA on the thank you page.

It’s a smart move to keep your primary offer nice and clean on your landing page and not confuse people with multiple CTAs. However, once you’ve given the promised content to the lead, you are wise to garner their support by asking them to do something whilst they are "hot."

I always suggest making sure you utilize the thank-you page to place another CTA or offer. For example, you could ask people to share the content via a Click to Tweet link.

*To learn more about this, check out the Creating Landing Pages in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

537 Replies 537
RMohamed5

make sure the CTA does not spammy

0 Upvotes
LucyWlodarczyk
Participant | Platinum Partner
Participant | Platinum Partner

Too high attention ratio - for a landing page it should be ideally 1:1, meaning 1 link related to 1 campaign goal. It is tempting to have more links, but they will simply distract the visitor. 

TheFoolsAgency
Participant

One pitfall I've seen is with the copy. The page is way too long, the call to action is all the way at the bottom while you have to scroll through paragraphs to read. Keep the length of the page short with one clear CTA.

AimeeKE
Participant

I think it depends on what you're asking of your audience. Direct response marketers have a long history of success with super-long landing pages, so I don't think "short" should be a hard-and-fast rule. Definitely worth testing if you're unsure!!

0 Upvotes
NCT-Nick

Some pitfalls I've seen in the past have included keeping the website nav. bar and too much content. 

NBelt
Participant

This is a reply

0 Upvotes
likemike33
Participant

I'm big on having a hook right when they land on the page. Bounce rates on websites are higher than ever! You'd better do all you can to grab their attention and keep them enegaged when they land on your page.

0 Upvotes
EHammis
Contributor

Too much content. CTA buried or hard to locate. Outbound links that take them away from the page. A page that doesn't match where the person came from (email, social post, etc.)

0 Upvotes
KPurabia
Participant

0 Upvotes
CDeano

A common mistake I see is having everything and the kitchen sink, and treating the landing page as a "catch-all" with multiple CTAs and different pathways.

A single, clear action has proven time and time to be the most effective, as long as the targeting is on-point. Leave your secondary CTAs to AFTER the main action has been taken. 

MPetrola
Contributor

Thanks! 

0 Upvotes
LesLacson

CTA most of the times are unnoticeable due to so many elements in the page

0 Upvotes
VrrutikaBorkar
Contributor

I agree, Proper CTA always help to get the traffic to the website.

SEO is an important Audit for brands, proper SEO analytics can help gain more popularity .

0 Upvotes
SPearce

Not having a CTA in general.

0 Upvotes
SHossain86
Participant

Coping from different sources is a mistake for landing pages.

0 Upvotes
LPavelescu

and for those landing pages that still ned to inform people about the product?

0 Upvotes
Tina2
Participant

Hi I'm Tina and I'm new here

0 Upvotes
SAhola

CTA too far down the page requiring scrolling

0 Upvotes
SNegrete
Participant

Being irrelevant to the client. 

NStewart3

less is more when comeds to copy!   not a long scrolling page

KValland
Participant

Do not ask for to much information in a form. One wants to build and keep the trust of the potential customer or extiting customer