HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Pitfalls to Avoid When Creating Landing Pages

Creating and optimizing landing pages is a crucial step in your lead generation efforts. What's a common mistake I always see and try to avoid? Not having a second offer or CTA on the thank you page.

It’s a smart move to keep your primary offer nice and clean on your landing page and not confuse people with multiple CTAs. However, once you’ve given the promised content to the lead, you are wise to garner their support by asking them to do something whilst they are "hot."

I always suggest making sure you utilize the thank-you page to place another CTA or offer. For example, you could ask people to share the content via a Click to Tweet link.

*To learn more about this, check out the Creating Landing Pages in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

535 Replies 535
nickpottle16

Having an attracting, bright looking CTA is key.

0 Upvotes
CBurt

A great CTA for a landing page for a webinar registration is "Add to calendar" .  That increases my chance of attending!

AndersU
Contributor

Excellent

0 Upvotes
RBeaucher

Having a thank you page is so important. I have been to landing pages, submitted my information, then was left there not knowing if I did it right. After being frustrated, I left the site.

BPurkeypile

Make sure to state what the offer is clearly so the visitor knows. Customize the CTA to fit what the offer is without sounding vague, such as "submit." Also, create a CTA that has enough space to be noticed from the content and be colored contrstly so it stands out in the landing page

DGarcia1203
Participant

The description is misleading, extended loading process, no CTA, lack of optimization with forms and buttons, etc. 

0 Upvotes
MKireev
Participant

Too many words

Loading time more than 2-3 sec

0 Upvotes
SDeMartini

The description is misleading, no CTA, etc. 

0 Upvotes
MBarranco9

Nothing

0 Upvotes
MZazueta

The landing Page must not have nivagation bars or options that can take youo to different pages, only ont powerfull button that takes you to suscribe with you, or to buy the product, etc.. Depending on what you are trying to communicate.

0 Upvotes
BKamper
Participant

That's a great idea. Maybe even putting them on scheduler for a consultation or a click-to-call on that "Thank You" page. You can't make it easy enough for leads to take action and move through your pipeline. 

0 Upvotes
ASharma1

While creating the landing page avoid the following common mistakes: 1. slow loading: make sure your page load within  2-3 seconds. 
2. Not optimising your forms and CTA buttons for conversions

0 Upvotes
ADauksa
Participant

Clear CTA and clear message of what the person is getting by clicking the CTA. If the design and content is well designed and clear how do you improve a landing page with a form that gets lots of views but people aren't filling out the form to download the asset?

BKamper
Participant

Testing. Maybe the asset isn't valueable enough to the client. Offer them a white paper, or to access the full video, or something else. What's driving people to the landing page? Maybe you're not confirming that desire? 

Big e-retailers test 10 or more landing page designs per campaign. If you have the time and tech savvy, randomize the lander so that someone gets a blue page and someone gets a green. Sub an image of the giveaway with an animated gif. 

Intuition can only get you so far; if your lead gen is converting but they're not clicking submit, time to figure out why. Maybe make the CTAs more urgent? I've had good results by adding a countdown timer to the page. 

0 Upvotes
NGalbraith
Participant

Any success from anyone doing healthcare patient acquisition or fundraising? 

JohnAceti
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

Make sure your page is not just optimized for all platforms, but be sure that your copy, form, etc is all catered to the target audience. It's a good idea to keep things specific, not broad, when it comes to this in order to maximize conversion rates (and gather quality, qualified leads)

0 Upvotes
vanessaELabs
Participant

Design and layout that is not tested for mobile. They may not download from their phone, but it should at least look good and enticing that will remember to come back to it when they're on their desktop.

0 Upvotes
AmirahZMJ

Complicated language!

0 Upvotes
briyanga

Great insight

0 Upvotes
KJohnson10

having people get lost with out clear navigation

0 Upvotes
Alopez7721
Participant | Elite Partner
Participant | Elite Partner

How can we create a better experience during our users are on my blog? How about vlogs?

0 Upvotes