HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Pitfalls to Avoid When Creating Landing Pages

Creating and optimizing landing pages is a crucial step in your lead generation efforts. What's a common mistake I always see and try to avoid? Not having a second offer or CTA on the thank you page.

It’s a smart move to keep your primary offer nice and clean on your landing page and not confuse people with multiple CTAs. However, once you’ve given the promised content to the lead, you are wise to garner their support by asking them to do something whilst they are "hot."

I always suggest making sure you utilize the thank-you page to place another CTA or offer. For example, you could ask people to share the content via a Click to Tweet link.

*To learn more about this, check out the Creating Landing Pages in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

535 Replies 535
KHernandez

The best thing to do on the landing page is to tell your audience what you want them to do. The best thing to get from them while they are still "hot" is to get their email so this should be the first thing you want on your landing page.

0 Upvotes
Trentster
Contributor

Landing pages should be simple, easy to read, enticing and have a CTA.

0 Upvotes
Yshannon77

Personally, landing pages that are too busy or have too much information on them is distracting to me and I am immediately disinterested.  It should have the offer and CTA.  Simple and to the point.  Not a lot of fuss.  Easy to descide to take action.  

0 Upvotes
Gautambhalla777

People today are more lazy to fill up the huge contact form. So , It's always better to utilize conversational information gathering , Even NLP based voice to text processors to ensure minimum handwritten input on their part.

0 Upvotes
MGlenn

Having a clear landing page with multiple CTA's is great. A thank-you page is a wonderful resource, or a redirect, as well.

0 Upvotes
CGabriel2

make sure that the webpage is working. 

0 Upvotes
KPavel
Contributor | Elite Partner
Contributor | Elite Partner

1. Check to follow up emails and email

2. Check Redirecting pages

3. Check Contact Form

0 Upvotes
KKamlager

Don't create complicated dead ends for the customer journey. Make a CTA with purpose, gate content that is worthy of gating, and make it simple and short for the visitor to fill out. 

0 Upvotes
BRiback

This was the best module, yet! I'm curious what research HS has done on the acceptance of chatbots in their lives and if consumers (actually), EVER prefer conversational forms?

0 Upvotes
FMartelozzo

the better the quality of LP content, the more conversion it will get. The offer has to be exactly for the audience we are reaching and an email marketing nutrition after the thank you page also helps in the conversion.

0 Upvotes
aagg

Using trade jargon can be a tricky pitfall. There are some topic terms thats can be understood as umbrella categories however, when defining niche services, industry outliers may not understand the chosen terms.

0 Upvotes
JenMalins
Contributor | Diamond Partner
Contributor | Diamond Partner

I'm usually sold on the offer before I even get to the landing page so I don't really read landing page copy. As a result, the ones I write tend to be short and to the point.

0 Upvotes
SumitMutha

Yes exactly

0 Upvotes
ESingletary

The content should start right below the fold. It tends to be discouraging to the reader if they have to scroll for too long before they find the answer they were looking for. 

0 Upvotes
KenChis
Contributor

Langing pages should always have a clear objective and offer. The objective to your team is clear - getting a contact/meeting/ registration etc. and the offer to the viewer should also be clear - Landing pages are transactional and should be a simple path to completion.

0 Upvotes
EMurphy5

Agreed!

0 Upvotes
JT20
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

One thing I really recommend is your call to action button should be relativly simple. I've seen some lengthy cta's and it just isnt aestheticly pleasing. 

0 Upvotes
ajedavis

Too much text

0 Upvotes
PRaj1
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

hello

0 Upvotes
SSaeger

Never too much text or repeating content
0 Upvotes
CPage513
Member | Elite Partner
Member | Elite Partner

I like using a stripped down version of a website template for the landing page. Upon conversion, I redirect to a thank you page that matches the standard design of the website and encourages the visitor to engage. That way, you're not distracting the visitor from the first conversion but can give them more things to look at once they've converted the first time. 

0 Upvotes