HubSpot Marketing

abbyfromcord
Contributor

Managers! What's something you wish you knew before becoming a manager?

Hey HubSpotters (are we saying this?), 

I'm entering HubSpot's Community Blog contest and writing about how to be a better manager, specifically when one or more of your direct reports is managing email marketing in HubSpot. Since it's for the community blog, I thought it would make the most sense to ask the community for their answers to incoporate into the blog 🙂 

So, what would you tell new managers, or managers that might need a refresher? Bonus points if it's about onboarding new team members but not required.

Here's a few quotes I'm going to include if you need some inspo: 

"1 - Be ready to learn from your staff. My policy has always been something like "I'll train you on our way to do things, if you find a better way bring it to my attention and we will review. If we agree its a better way/more efficient way we will adopt it and it will be come our 'new way' going forward" 2 - Being a good manager is about managing time/expectations not managing the minute by minute efforts of the day."

“Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.” 

Please include if you'd be comfortable being quoted (quotes can be anonymous if not), and what your position is. I'm not sure if HubSpot allows for links but maybe include if just in case (to your Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) 

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply 1
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Managers! What's something you wish you knew before becoming a manager?

Can't wait to read your blog post @abbyfromcord! 😄 

Let me know if you found any great tips from other sources - always curious to get tips on this topic! 

0 Upvotes