HubSpot Marketing

adamstacey

How to Report on the Source a Contact Reached Us by When Submitting a Form

I am working on a Salesforce project that is hooked up to HubSpot and that is working really well, but I am missing the ability to report on the "Source".

At the moment I can see that a contact has an "Original Source" field and that is fine for when a contact is first known to us, but how do we know the source a contac has used to last interact with us.

In particular we want to know what the source was of a contact when they submit an enquiry form as it will more than likely be different to the original source.

Apologies in advance if this question has been answered, but I have been looking for a solution via Google and the community site, but have not yet found an aswer.

If anyone knows how this could be implemented or know of a way to report on this that would be amazing.

4 Replies 4
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @adamstacey, great suggestions @bsheen !!

Wanted also to share about original source drill-down 1 and Original source drill-down 2 are two analytics properties included on every contact record. 

These drill-downs provide more insight into their original source (i.e., the contact's first visit or interaction with your business). Their values vary depending on the Original source property.  I wanted to share this resource here with more information.

I hope this helps.

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

adamstacey

Hi @PamCotton,

Thank you that is a really good insight that I didn't know about.

Many thanks

Adam

bsheen
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

Hi @adamstacey,

Thanks for reaching out!

My first thought here would be to look at the Last Referring Site property for a contact record after a Form submission. 

• Last referring site: the last website that referred the contact to your website. This is automatically set by HubSpot for each contact. This analytics property looks at the last page viewed, so this site can be internal or external.
    -see HubSpot's default contact properties

I also see the potential for a Workflow here to store this in a custom property after the Form submission. If we created a Workflow to trigger on a specific Form submission, it seems we could use a Copy Contact Property action to copy the Last Referring Site value to a custom property- in effect saving this property value in relation to the Form submission. 

We also have the following properties on the contact object:

• Recent conversion: the last form the contact submitted. This is formatted as the name of the page the form was submitted on, followed by a colon, then the name of the submitted form (i.e., Name of page: Name of form).
  • Recent conversion date: the date the contact last submitted a form.

However, from what I understand, we are looking for the Last Referring Site from the Form submission.

I am happy to discuss this further here! Also please feel free to DM me, and we can experiment with a few Workflow drafts together!

Best,

Brendan

adamstacey

Hi @bsheen

Thank you for your help and suggestions. The Last referring site sounds like a good option, but the only issue is that I then need to add some logic in order to map that into a similar list of values that you get with Original source. I just wish I was able to get the same values you get from the Original source field into anotther "Last source".

I don't know if it is me, but it seems mad that we aren't able to access the great values we have in Original source to any other fields.

We are looking to report on the same sources, so the sources we get when they first become a contact and then the same set of sources for when they submit a form, so we can compare sources.

Many thanks

Adam

0 Upvotes