HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How often should you audit and update your buyer personas?

Buyer personas can be created through research, surveys, and interviews — all with a mix of customers, prospects, and those outside your contacts database who might align with your target audience.

But like all data, even information you gather on your audience (your personas) can go out of date. After all, business models change, companies merge or shift direction, and your audience can (and likely will) evolve. In your professional opinion, how often should you audit and even update your buyer personas?

*To learn more about this, check out the Using Buyer Personas in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

807 Replies 807
ABenton
Participant

Every 6 months is probably sufficient in most cases. 

0 Upvotes
PMarchand
Participant

Annually, for sure. Six months isn't enough time for adequate data gathering; especially as buying habits and decision-making can be seasonal (especially in my industry). If resources do not allow for this, every other year is sufficient UNLESS your organization has undergone a significant change. For example, a merger.

AVodicka
Participant

I would say every 6 months or annually unless something significant has happened in that particular marketplace.  I also think opinions/buyer habits change more quickly in emerging markets than more mature markets so geography can play a role.  Also, the resources required to monitor these changes should be available to the company.

0 Upvotes
irfanskhan242

Monitor the status and updating it quarterly is preferable.

0 Upvotes
likemike33
Participant

every 6 months

0 Upvotes
MPetrola
Contributor

Quarterly

Anyone have thoughts on how the persona should change if the product is in the begining stages and has frequent changes?

0 Upvotes
MLane1
Participant

Quarterly or even yearly based on the goals that you are trying to achieve-lead conversion or buying conversion. 

0 Upvotes
EHammis
Contributor

It definitely depends on the industry or the business you are working with. Some companies are constantly evolving, growing, and making changes, while others are complacent where they are, so I think it's important to keep that in mind when deciding how often to update you buyer personas. 

0 Upvotes
SMhatre
Participant

Quaterly

0 Upvotes
AnthonyMk

Either qurterly or half-yearly. Not sure what the sweet spot is.

0 Upvotes
MLabindao

Quarterly!

0 Upvotes
HWatters

Probably every 6 months or when you are launching something new

0 Upvotes
RobinBod
Participant

It is definitely industry specific. For example, in my industry, which is B2B pharma/biotech, I'd say it requires review every 6 months due to the continued advancement of medicinces and the speed of technological or regulatory change within the industry. This means needs and challenges can quickly change. If your industry experiences rapid change and development then regular review is critical. 

LesLacson

hello! i'm new here. 🙂  it depends on the buying cycle, and if there was a turnover of buyer in a specific account.

0 Upvotes
CSaldivar

Hi everyone. Im new here. 

0 Upvotes
LoBalll
Contributor

Our business has close ties to a considerably older age group, and I believe these customers are rather loyal to our business. Consequently, we cater to them by continuing traditions that they are used to. 

Saying this, I believe we've gathered a rather wider audience that we may not be listening to as thoroughly. We need to audit our customer base and update the user personas now to continue delivering the products and services that are most relevant to our customers. Going forward, perhaps a buyer persona audit every 2 years for our company. 

LPavelescu

in our business i thing every 3-4 years is enought

0 Upvotes
Tina2
Participant

Hi I'm Tina and I'm new here...

0 Upvotes
DRomito
Participant

Aren't you technically updating buyer personas from campaign to campaign in order to better customize your marketing message? I'm a marketing rookie, but it seems like make a "blanket persona" might do a disservice to each campaign your marketing team is doing.

0 Upvotes
CAxisTech

varies. at least once a year. 

0 Upvotes
bthapa

For a small business where the number of customers is low, annually updating is ok but for the medium or large business, quarterly is better.