HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How often should you audit and update your buyer personas?

Buyer personas can be created through research, surveys, and interviews — all with a mix of customers, prospects, and those outside your contacts database who might align with your target audience.

But like all data, even information you gather on your audience (your personas) can go out of date. After all, business models change, companies merge or shift direction, and your audience can (and likely will) evolve. In your professional opinion, how often should you audit and even update your buyer personas?

*To learn more about this, check out the Using Buyer Personas in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

804 Replies 804
CAngeletti

I think it depends on the company growth curve, in our case once a year

0 Upvotes
JCadeus

the audit of the buyer persona should be done twice a year

0 Upvotes
Rossie
Member | Elite Partner
Member | Elite Partner

Updates can be made after a mayor learning that needs to be part of the buyer persona. Also, it has tu be updated on a regular basis, not more than 3 months apart.

borjacuadrado
Participant

database cleaning should ideally be carried out on a recurring basis, ideally no more than 3 months at the latest.

0 Upvotes
nickpottle16

Often

0 Upvotes
Raheel_Malik
Participant

This is an excellent question and I think it can be best aligned with a continuity of studying both the input of relevant information on defining personas and results derived from running successful campaigns from the personas previously defined.
Organizations with good number of resources can allocate responsibilities to socially monitor and listen to identify shift in trends or preferences and adjust their strategies thereby.  

0 Upvotes
JoshuaRAllen

Change is always happening.  To best address this question, it's important to understand organizational change and environmental change.  When something triggers your customers to think, consider and buy differently, an emphasis on gauging alignment between stated personas and actual buyer journeys is critical.  If the organization changes (inclusive of product, vertical, leadership, structure, etc.), questioning the "fullness" in capability to speaking to an ideal persona is critical.  

MMueller4
Participant

I think that sticking a generic number on this question and saying, "well, every year or every quarter we are going to update our buyer personas" isn't sufficient. The real question is a matter of how often your company pivots sales channels, products, or marketing strategies. These shouldn't be the only times buyer personas are updated, but any time your company goes through some sort of pivot or change, it's crucial to pose this question to inform your marketing initiatives down the line. So, yes, a quarterly update to your buyer personas should be more than enough, unless you work in a fast-paced company or one with a continuously changing line of products. 

BPurkeypile

Buyer personas are important in the sense that you know who you're selling to. I feel like they can always be updated and changed as we see changes in consumers or data. As for auditing, I feel like taking a look every quarter is sufficient to evaluate how well the buyer personas are performing

0 Upvotes
RBeaucher

I work for a B2B company and can see buyer personas needing to be updated quarterly. Technology moves fast and it is important to stay on top of the new ways customers are making purchases.

pkiermeier

From the perspective of our B2B market (SaaS enterprise software), I would say a full audit should happen at least twice a year (quarterly would be better) since especially in the IT sector things change fast and new needs arise. You do not only want to develop products or new features that resonate with the needs of your customers but also message them in a relevant way. Having a customer advisory board and/or a customer community can be very beneficial to support this. 

0 Upvotes
GageFisher

I'm an audience marketer on the operations side for a media company. I update personas maybe twice/year. Persona details and habits change, but not frequently enough to update more than that. Other industries will probably differ.

SupriyaC

Hi Professor, What if we have a set business model. Based on the product the persona can never change. Like we are B2B segment & our target audience is event organisers only.

aadeyemi
Participant

Hello.
I think you should note that trends are constantly changing. The requirements clients have from event organisers differs from time to time. You should keep up to date with the entire ecosystem.
0 Upvotes
MKumar39

Events are organised as virtual events(pandemic has impact I assume) and phsical(in-person), you can update persona after every six months or may be quarterly! 🙂

0 Upvotes
ClarieZ

maybe... a few times per year

0 Upvotes
Cliffe

A part of social media community management I stay very closely connected to audiences and respond to changes. This puts me in the path of a formal update to personas 3-4 times a year or for tried and true brands twice a year.

MKireev
Participant

Agree with those who said 4-6 months and couple times a year^^

0 Upvotes
DPerez4

Every 4 to 6 months.

PBowring

Audits should be conducted at least 2-3 times a year in order to stay updated on buyer personas and information. 

GCohen6
Participant

When a large-scale new internal development occurs or external factors (i.e. a pandemic) will intrinsically impact previous personas. Otherwise, auditing 2-3 times a year to stay on track and implement small-scale improvements

0 Upvotes