HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How often should you audit and update your buyer personas?

Buyer personas can be created through research, surveys, and interviews — all with a mix of customers, prospects, and those outside your contacts database who might align with your target audience.

But like all data, even information you gather on your audience (your personas) can go out of date. After all, business models change, companies merge or shift direction, and your audience can (and likely will) evolve. In your professional opinion, how often should you audit and even update your buyer personas?

*To learn more about this, check out the Using Buyer Personas in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

794 Replies 794
CWilkinson

I think annually would be perfect. 

0 Upvotes
KPavel
Contributor | Elite Partner
Contributor | Elite Partner

Yearly

0 Upvotes
ishabehl

a

0 Upvotes
RocioMote
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

Every year, but if necessary before it must be done

0 Upvotes
BRiback

How do you qualify an appropriate representative sample size to ensure accuracy? Would you please share a practical example of a buyer persona set up where the accuracy of the persona is validated algorithmically / tweaked, over time (if impacted by seasonality, for example), based on click behavior of those to whom this persona has been assigned

0 Upvotes
CMcGilvray
Participant

Buying personas should be updated regularly. Each year we review our buying personas to ensure that they match our target customers. If services or products change, we would also update that buying persona or create a new one.

0 Upvotes
Agro-Evangelist
Participant

There is no standard time allocation for persona audit but it is said that audit should happen monthly and whenever a new product is to be introduced.

I run an edtech for agribusiness, and we are 2 years old.I realized the customer persona we have looks different from our insight on social media engagement.When I noticed that, I made it a point of duty to access personas weekly and before any new course is launched.

0 Upvotes
JWright10
Participant

I think yearly is a great place to start as you are able to see potential growth from the previous year and apply that to your new direction.

0 Upvotes
SKrause

This would be depending upon the changes in the business.- If you add a new product line or there are other significant changes to the business, there would likely be reasons to re-examine the personas. If things are staying relatively the same, then at least annually, take a look at them to be sure everything is still accurate.

0 Upvotes
JenMalins
Contributor | Diamond Partner
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Yearly

0 Upvotes
sfarshgar

depends on the sales and marketing strategy and market changes that affect the buyer persona. evey 6 month would be good to review the personas.

0 Upvotes
KKamlager

annually, unless a major business change occurs. Most likely, dramatic changes will not happen, unless a major event happens to disrupt the customer/business model/etc.

0 Upvotes
Lexlyb

I think running an audit once a year would keep persona's relevant and up-to-date with industry and trend changes.

0 Upvotes
RMero
Participant | Platinum Partner
Participant | Platinum Partner

We update them yearly or more often when our offerings shift. We do review them quarterly when we have strategy sessions. 

0 Upvotes
KenChis
Contributor

Annually or when a stragetic shift occurs.

0 Upvotes
Gautambhalla777

Every Quarter

AndreaP
Participant

I believe that it depends on our campaign objectives to update the buyer persona, but at least once a month per year.

0 Upvotes
ESingletary

The pandemic has shown us how fast an industry and their needs can change. I feel a good practice would be to check and update personas every 6 months whenever possible.

0 Upvotes
aagg

B2B Buyer Personas have not been fully developed for our team. We will need to identify 4-6 buyer personas and formualte what they are interested in based on the needs of the market. Evalution of the personas will need to be visited seasonally.

0 Upvotes
AChristopoulo

I believe that our Buyer Personas should be updated on an annual basis - therefore, allowing us to reasses and reorganize based on the various changes/new developments we recieve. 

0 Upvotes
EYoung-Colliers

In my opinion it would make sense to update it at the same time as your contact databse refresh. Why touch the same piece of information twice?

0 Upvotes