HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How often should you audit and update your buyer personas?

Buyer personas can be created through research, surveys, and interviews — all with a mix of customers, prospects, and those outside your contacts database who might align with your target audience.

But like all data, even information you gather on your audience (your personas) can go out of date. After all, business models change, companies merge or shift direction, and your audience can (and likely will) evolve. In your professional opinion, how often should you audit and even update your buyer personas?

*To learn more about this, check out the Using Buyer Personas in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

804 Replies 804
KKamlager

annually, unless a major business change occurs. Most likely, dramatic changes will not happen, unless a major event happens to disrupt the customer/business model/etc.

0 Upvotes
Lexlyb

I think running an audit once a year would keep persona's relevant and up-to-date with industry and trend changes.

0 Upvotes
RMero
Participant | Platinum Partner
Participant | Platinum Partner

We update them yearly or more often when our offerings shift. We do review them quarterly when we have strategy sessions. 

0 Upvotes
KenChis
Contributor

Annually or when a stragetic shift occurs.

0 Upvotes
Gautambhalla777

Every Quarter

AndreaP
Participant

I believe that it depends on our campaign objectives to update the buyer persona, but at least once a month per year.

0 Upvotes
ESingletary

The pandemic has shown us how fast an industry and their needs can change. I feel a good practice would be to check and update personas every 6 months whenever possible.

0 Upvotes
aagg

B2B Buyer Personas have not been fully developed for our team. We will need to identify 4-6 buyer personas and formualte what they are interested in based on the needs of the market. Evalution of the personas will need to be visited seasonally.

0 Upvotes
AChristopoulo

I believe that our Buyer Personas should be updated on an annual basis - therefore, allowing us to reasses and reorganize based on the various changes/new developments we recieve. 

0 Upvotes
EYoung-Colliers

In my opinion it would make sense to update it at the same time as your contact databse refresh. Why touch the same piece of information twice?

0 Upvotes
MandyS

We should update the personas annually.

0 Upvotes
EMurphy5

Yearly

0 Upvotes
BWeinstein1
Member | Platinum Partner

I like to review them every 3 - 6 months, based on product release cycles, to see if anything has changed, and take a deep dive at the beginning of the year, looking at any insights that we may have from the last calendar year, in terms of engagement, conversion, etc.

JT20

Hi Jorie! I think that since its alot to be done, it should be updated atleast once a year. 

0 Upvotes
CPage513
Member | Elite Partner
Member | Elite Partner

For existing personas, yearly. But I would assess our goals every quarter to see if a whole new persona should be created.  

0 Upvotes
MGallardo

• When the goal changes or new ones are added 
  • New products are added, taken away or changed/upgraded 
  • You no longer serve your current persona/ your demographic changes 
  • You serve a different market/ geographic location
SSaeger

Continuously!
0 Upvotes
MTelepneff

I would say, at least in the software market, every 6 months and sometimes consider additional buyer persona criteria based on a new product being introduced into a seperate market.

0 Upvotes
Chaudhary

Quaterly

0 Upvotes
XabTranche
Member | Partner
Member | Partner

We used to review them every 6 months

0 Upvotes
DDOMNISOR
Participant

I think it makes sens to consider updating your buyer personas every time you make changes to your portfolio of products or services and before any forecasting/budgeting exercise. So probably at least once per year.

0 Upvotes