HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How often should you audit and update your buyer personas?

Buyer personas can be created through research, surveys, and interviews — all with a mix of customers, prospects, and those outside your contacts database who might align with your target audience.

But like all data, even information you gather on your audience (your personas) can go out of date. After all, business models change, companies merge or shift direction, and your audience can (and likely will) evolve. In your professional opinion, how often should you audit and even update your buyer personas?

*To learn more about this, check out the Using Buyer Personas in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

807 Replies 807
zipeiwang

The frequency of reviewing and updating "Buyer Personas" will vary depending on - current changes in the target market, shifts in consumer behavior, updates to products or services, etc. A general guideline would be to review and update the "Buyer Personas" at least once a year or every six months.

0 Upvotes
VKOKHANENKO

In my personal opinion, the updation and audition of buyer persona should change from six months or one year, depending from growing level, product type, innovation, location etc.

0 Upvotes
sjikia

ideally every 6 to 12 months, or whenever there are notable shifts in your target audience, market dynamics, or business goals. Regular updates ensure the personas remain precise and up-to-date, facilitating more targeted and personalized marketing strategies.

MBasheerp

In my professional opinion, auditing and updating your buyer personas should be done at least annually. However, it's crucial to emphasize that any time there are significant changes in the business environment, market trends, or customer feedback, it's essential to revisit and adjust your personas accordingly. This ensures they remain accurate reflections of your target audience and continue to guide your marketing strategies effectively. So, while an annual review provides a baseline, staying flexible and responsive to changes is key to keeping your buyer personas relevant and impactful.

KMcCoin

Marketing personas should be adapted and tweaked after every interaction with one of the predetermined archetypes in your buyer pool so as to keep straegies updated and well targeted. 

0 Upvotes
BLatos

I update buyer persona no more frequently than the length of the buying cycle, but also no less frequently than once per fiscal year.

The frequency of change can be read from:
- the dynamics of change (micro and macroeconomics) occurring in the buyer persona sector (significant legal changes, market maturation, etc.).
- in the rhythm of the change in the value that my service/ product I offer to the market delivers.

Vojin
Participant

Our campaigns are highly dependent on our buyer personas. As stated in the course, the more qualitative research we perform on our buyer personas, the more tailored, targeted and efficient our content will be. Optimal inbound marketing strategies involve hyper focus on specific segment and positioning. Going in all directions is never efficient. 

That being said, it's also important to mention that marketing strategies require time to prove their efficiency. We can't constantly refine our buyer persona but we can't be stagnant either. Three months seems like a sweet spot.

0 Upvotes
OBunyula

Checking buyer personas yearly helps keep them accurate, but doing smaller checks every three months can also keep them up-to-date. If something big happens, like a major change in the industry or lots of feedback coming in, then you must know it's time to make some changes. And as you learn more about the customers, you can make personas even better by testing things out and making improvements over time. It's all about finding the right balance between updating personas and not changing them too much.

SadiaL

The frequency of auditing and updating buyer personas can vary depending on factors such as changes in market trends, shifts in consumer behavior, and updates to your products or services. However, a general recommendation is to audit and update your buyer personas at least once a year.

Here are some considerations to help determine the appropriate frequency for auditing and updating your buyer personas:

1. Market Dynamics: Monitor changes in your industry and market landscape. If there are significant shifts in trends, technologies, or competitive landscape, it may be necessary to update your buyer personas more frequently to ensure they remain relevant.

2. Customer Feedback: Regularly gather feedback from your customers through surveys, interviews, and social media interactions. This feedback can provide valuable insights into evolving needs, preferences, and pain points, prompting adjustments to your buyer personas.

3. Product or Service Updates: If you introduce new products or services or make significant changes to existing offerings, it's essential to reassess your buyer personas to align them with the updated value proposition and target audience.

4. Performance Metrics: Monitor the performance of your marketing campaigns, sales efforts, and customer engagement metrics. If you notice discrepancies between your target audience and actual outcomes, it may indicate a need to refine your buyer personas.

5. Organizational Growth: As your business evolves and expands, your target audience and market segments may change. Regularly revisit and refine your buyer personas to ensure they reflect the evolving demographics and characteristics of your ideal customers.

By staying proactive and responsive to changes in your business environment and customer landscape, you can ensure that your buyer personas remain accurate and actionable tools for guiding your marketing and sales strategies.

0 Upvotes
RMagdy
Participant

Working as a product manager before, it's essential to be user centric. Everything is about the user. I believe it's the same when it comes to marketing. Updating the user persona is usually when we are targeting a new user segment, or maybe there is a potential market in a user segmentation that is taking the trend at the moment.

0 Upvotes
LVu67

Given that businesses and their target audiences continuously evolve, it's crucial to periodically revisit and refresh buyer persona definitions to ensure marketing efforts remain relevant and effective. In my professional opinion, organizations should audit and potentially update their buyer personas at least once per year, or whenever significant shifts occur in the business, industry, or target market. Some specific events that may trigger the need for a buyer persona refresh include:

• Changes to the company's product/service offerings or business model
  • Expanding into new markets or targeting new customer segments
  • Major developments or trends emerging in your industry
  • Mergers, acquisitions or new competition altering the landscape
  • Feedback from sales/customer facing teams indicating persona attributes have shifted

An annual buyer persona audit allows ample time to gather new research, customer insights and market data to inform any needed persona updates. During this audit, key questions to explore include:

• Are our persona's goals, challenges and pain points still accurate?
  • Have any new goals, motivations or influences emerged?
  • Do the demographic and behavioral attributes still reflect our target audience?
  • Are there any new or emerging audience segments not represented in current personas?

By institutionalizing an annual buyer persona audit and refresh process, organizations can keep this critical audience knowledge current and actionable.

0 Upvotes
SumanthN

Regular audits and updates of buyer personas are recommended to ensure their accuracy and relevance. While the exact frequency may vary based on factors such as market dynamics and business changes, it's generally advised to conduct reviews at least once per year. Additionally, personas should be revisited whenever significant shifts occur in customer demographics, industry trends, or business objectives. By maintaining up-to-date buyer personas, businesses can better align their marketing strategies with the evolving needs and preferences of their target audience.

0 Upvotes
Rachel_F

Update every 3 months. I think every seasons would change the customer behavior. When the behavior changed, it also change the personas. And also stay in trend about what's going on in your industry that you are working with. When a new trend or a new policy comes out, observe how thing goes and update the persona if neccessary

WolfStratt

I think that doing an audit 2 times per year (preferred at the start of every half) will let you keep the data of interest of the target audiences updated and accurate. No matter how big or small the business is, that will allow us to follow trends and changes in the behavior of the people who make up the audience, and that will allow us to make changes in the strategy of the plan.

0 Upvotes
LT99

I believe that an optimal range for auditing and updating buyer personans would be every 3-9 months. The type of field that you work in is going to determine how soon these profiles should be updated. 

0 Upvotes
L_Armstrong

At a small company like mine, it is unreasonable to audit and update personas any more frequently than 6-months. I think an achievable goal would be "every year", but 6-months sounds more strategic. 

0 Upvotes
ChucksIhebuzor

I doubt there's a right or wrong answer here, but I'd say Quarterly because it's a significant enough time to learn about audience behaviour in 'seasons.' 

0 Upvotes
VICKYKWAN612

In my opinion, I think at least it is in a monthly basis.

0 Upvotes
PeiyaoXiao

Audit and update buyer personas annually, adapting to industry changes, business shifts, and customer feedback for targeted marketing strategies.

0 Upvotes
QRYe

I update the details frequently to make sure my target audience is accurate.