HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How often do you clean your contacts database?

We’re in a data-driven era, where datasets are shared between marketing, sales, and customer service teams to increase organizational effectiveness and facilitate alignment. When you have high levels of inconsistent data, it’s not just one team taking the hit. It’s everyone. The entire company. The fallout from that bad data extends to every corner of your business that the data touches. With that in mind, how often do you currently audit and clean your contacts database? Once a month? Every quarter? Once a year? What does the process look like? Share your thoughts and current schedule.

1,500 Replies 1,500
Azwa

The contacts database should be cleaned every quarter.

0 Upvotes
ErnieFowlke

Every three to six months

0 Upvotes
SSalvemini

Honestly not as often as I should 

graceporter

I clean out my email database typically once a quarter. I will unsubscribe to many different promotional emails in order to clear up valuable space. Through the hubspot academy, I have learned that once a quarter is a persistant time frame to clean out your contacts!

0 Upvotes
ksydnor

I think this will be a descion made by the company and how often they may be generating leads, or if the are having a shift within their company. Personally, if I ran a business I would probably clean my contact database every 1-3 months. 

0 Upvotes
HSoto7

We currently clean our contacts regularly each month, and ad hoc when a customer's contact details have changed.

0 Upvotes
YChe

bi-weekly

0 Upvotes
PDeshpande

Every quarter is an ideal way of keeping your database clean and up-to-date.

0 Upvotes
NComly
Participant

With email marketing we clean twice a year, now with HubSpot I'm shooting for once a quarter

0 Upvotes
LALemus
Participant

With email marketing I am trying to automated, but the rest is about every six months because it is not a huge database (yet)

0 Upvotes
MJohnson39

every quarter

0 Upvotes
LWaters2

We're new to HubSpot, but trying to implement a quarterly process.

0 Upvotes
Tems

With email marketing, I will either delete contacts who unsubscribed or emails that bounced back or move them to another list. Outside of that, I will clean my contacts every quarter. Try to see the unengaged contact nd understand measures that have been taken to try to engage them in the past.

CWhitesel

I will check for duplicates on a regular basis but will clean up our contacts twice a year while we are smaller and as we grow to keep it managable do it quarterly. 

0 Upvotes
JBallot

Quarterly. More often as needed per a specific event (e.g., trade conference, which are big part of our primary lead generation pipeline).

Ryan_SM

I would visit the duplicate records section in Huspot at least once a week or two and deduplicate. A quarter audit of the entire database is also a good habit and doable depending on the project and task load of the team. 

hottytoddy
Participant | Platinum Partner
Participant | Platinum Partner

We maintain a quarterly schedule to audit and clean our database.

Amy V Lambert
CLobo1
Contributor

As per industry best practice, its always doing a refresh of the lead and contact database on a quarterly basis. The bad emails are out in real time, but information on contacts that havent taken any actions (on our campaigns) are pushed down a lower level for the risk of being blocklisted.

jeannehopkins
Participant

Quarterly is best practice.  Determine how many emails you've sent to a segment in a quarter and if they have no activity remove them from your CRM and put them into a separate place to re-engage with a "wake the dead" email.

0 Upvotes
HaVdb
Contributor

We don't do it often enough/not in a systematic process.

I recently cleaned up contacts that were in no way still a customer/connected/engaged with our company since 2017-2020. But it's a delicate matter since deleting contacts also means deleting (or altering) historical reports.

We are working on a process to make this more robust. eg: Unqualified contacts -> No engagements in the last 6 months -> set to Non-Marketing contact -> No new engagegements/activity for a year -> Delete.

0 Upvotes