HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How often do you clean your contacts database?

We’re in a data-driven era, where datasets are shared between marketing, sales, and customer service teams to increase organizational effectiveness and facilitate alignment. When you have high levels of inconsistent data, it’s not just one team taking the hit. It’s everyone. The entire company. The fallout from that bad data extends to every corner of your business that the data touches. With that in mind, how often do you currently audit and clean your contacts database? Once a month? Every quarter? Once a year? What does the process look like? Share your thoughts and current schedule.

1,605 Replies 1,605
Zafar
Participant

It is best to audit & clean contacts at the end of each month.  This is more important if new contacts entering the system are large in number.

0 Upvotes
Cmdlga

I'll say at the end of every month, but depends on what the company does (on which market it is)

0 Upvotes
apfang21
Participant

Contact databases could be updated automatically, dependent on email interactions (spam, etc.); however, personal audits on a quarterly basis provide a more viable and organized system.

0 Upvotes
VS24

It's good to clean your database once a quarter, although some people may do it more frequently depending on their work or their preferences 

0 Upvotes
AVelas7

I used to be in a financial insitution with multiple sales channels and our database is cleaned every 20 days to maintain security and follow rules of engagement. 

0 Upvotes
JVargas4

Since i'm new in hubspot is my first time hearing about the importance of database cleaning,however i'm always had the habit of cleaning it beacause it bothers me to see it unorganized.

KRodriguez3

I am new to hubspot and I honestly have never cleaned my database at all. This is my first time ever hearing how important it is to do so and feel like every quarter would be a good time frame.

JuliaTong
Contributor

I would clean up data once a month. Sometiems sooner due to special circumstances. I evaluate the leads we have and see if there are mislabeled leads, I confirm with the other teams to see if my observation is agreeable, then I go on and decide how to treat this misinformational lead. Sometimes it's to requalify, other times we might need to delete this data.

0 Upvotes
MHenderson8

We clean up our contacts daily as they come in if they are SPAM, and then clean up the data base quarterly for contacts outside of SPAM

0 Upvotes
PSchuh

Interesting!

UQureshi
Participant

Quarterly

0 Upvotes
WaidJ

I'm new to HubSpot, but I also agree that quarterly is probably the best schedule for cleaning the contact database if it's not being done on a continuous basis.

0 Upvotes
EHagale

When I worked in Mailchimp, it was a continuous process of removing cleaned contacts.

0 Upvotes
SHalsema

Never - unfortunately. We're transition now to HubSpot and adding and creating clean data is a big priority for us. 

0 Upvotes
JKoh

Monthly

0 Upvotes
JSingh53
Contributor | Gold Partner
Contributor | Gold Partner

It should be done on a continuous basis. Generally, one can analyze the contacts repository monthly and remove the non-relevant leads. Also, it should be beneficial to remove the contact immediately if any of the departments have insight that they are no longer relevant or are redundant to the business goal. This can prevent other teams from not spending their valuable time over such leads and focusing on the relevant point of contact only. 

0 Upvotes
Emildeca1

Quarterly

0 Upvotes
TateMubaiwa

New Hubspot user. Based on the resources i have read, quarterly seems like a good idea.

0 Upvotes
MvanderHouwen
Participant | Elite Partner
Participant | Elite Partner

Every month

0 Upvotes
LPeart
Participant

Quarterly

RTenerife

Monthly.

0 Upvotes