HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How often do you clean your contacts database?

We’re in a data-driven era, where datasets are shared between marketing, sales, and customer service teams to increase organizational effectiveness and facilitate alignment. When you have high levels of inconsistent data, it’s not just one team taking the hit. It’s everyone. The entire company. The fallout from that bad data extends to every corner of your business that the data touches. With that in mind, how often do you currently audit and clean your contacts database? Once a month? Every quarter? Once a year? What does the process look like? Share your thoughts and current schedule.

1,601 Replies 1,601
AGrieco

On an ongoing basis! We plan to send an annual survey to our list of contacts to update  key information. 

0 Upvotes
JTucker0
Participant

Just curious what kind of info you're looking to collect with the survey?

0 Upvotes
GeoColeman
Participant

I think it should be monthly cleansed, but every contact shoudl be updated with new data as received. it is ongoing!

0 Upvotes
JTaylor-Smith

On an ongoing basis

0 Upvotes
LVaughan
Participant

On an ongoing basis as well, but I think a large data-clearing project is needed every now as well

0 Upvotes
AASHNAKAPOOR

AMAZING CONTENT!

0 Upvotes
gkarir

agreed!

0 Upvotes

that's true!

0 Upvotes
LMitch
Contributor

I really think it depends on the sales-cycle for the business model. Niché markets and sales-cycle really should drive your cleaning cycle. 

Our organization has a very long sales-cycle which can go over 13 months! Cleaning out the db quarterly would cripple my sales team. 

In the past, I've followed the quarterly-cleaning recommendation, particularly in B2C ecommerce where high volume is a necessity. Now that I am involved in a new market (B2G & DoD) I have to reconsider my practices.

0 Upvotes
Sana1707

According to me, we should clean and audit the data quaterly. Since we get appropriate and measurable results to compare with the pre set expections and goal. Additionally, cleaing and auditing is a time and efforts consuming process which can tedious at times.

0 Upvotes
KGlode
Contributor

Database contacts should be cleaned quarterly for all of the reasons you mentioned above.  Also, to clean out opt-out contacts and replace them with clean contacts.  

0 Upvotes
DBhatt

I think quarterly 

0 Upvotes
nehagupta
Participant

Theoritcally, we should clean up the database once every quarter. However, what I have observed in my current role that cleaning up every month helps a great deal. We clean up based on the companies and the contacts associated with each company. This way we can make sure that each company has only one record and the contact management becomes easier. 

CGug
Contributor

Should be quarterly. We probably could do a more through job. We also always keep any email change request up to date. We are hoping Hubspot will help us clean our data more often. 

0 Upvotes
rmurguia
Participant

Every three months 🙂 

0 Upvotes
FRasinski

Quarterly is recommended by this course but such a long period of time can easily malfunction cleaning process also rather than do it more frequently we can keep consistency and avoid clustering works.

0 Upvotes
BAnand

As and when required

Saajid0

It should be done quarterly

0 Upvotes
AMcLinton

As needed or annually.

Ritika_Anand

To ensure that nothing is overlooked and that everyone is aware of the larger picture, we utilise Clickup to manage our campaigns. However, the most crucial step is to ensure that all tasks are linked to that particular campaign name.

0 Upvotes
KajolNahar

The data should be cleaned on project to project basis. Every project has different needs for data so cleaning should be done accrodingly. Also, I think cleaning contacts database every month is doable to keep functions manageable.

0 Upvotes