HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How often do you clean your contacts database?

We’re in a data-driven era, where datasets are shared between marketing, sales, and customer service teams to increase organizational effectiveness and facilitate alignment. When you have high levels of inconsistent data, it’s not just one team taking the hit. It’s everyone. The entire company. The fallout from that bad data extends to every corner of your business that the data touches. With that in mind, how often do you currently audit and clean your contacts database? Once a month? Every quarter? Once a year? What does the process look like? Share your thoughts and current schedule.

1,570 Replies 1,570
KGlode
Contributor

Database contacts should be cleaned quarterly for all of the reasons you mentioned above.  Also, to clean out opt-out contacts and replace them with clean contacts.  

0 Upvotes
DBhatt

I think quarterly 

0 Upvotes
nehagupta
Participant

Theoritcally, we should clean up the database once every quarter. However, what I have observed in my current role that cleaning up every month helps a great deal. We clean up based on the companies and the contacts associated with each company. This way we can make sure that each company has only one record and the contact management becomes easier. 

CGug
Contributor

Should be quarterly. We probably could do a more through job. We also always keep any email change request up to date. We are hoping Hubspot will help us clean our data more often. 

0 Upvotes
rmurguia
Participant

Every three months 🙂 

0 Upvotes
FRasinski

Quarterly is recommended by this course but such a long period of time can easily malfunction cleaning process also rather than do it more frequently we can keep consistency and avoid clustering works.

0 Upvotes
BAnand

As and when required

Saajid0

It should be done quarterly

0 Upvotes
AMcLinton

As needed or annually.

Ritika_Anand

To ensure that nothing is overlooked and that everyone is aware of the larger picture, we utilise Clickup to manage our campaigns. However, the most crucial step is to ensure that all tasks are linked to that particular campaign name.

0 Upvotes
KajolNahar

The data should be cleaned on project to project basis. Every project has different needs for data so cleaning should be done accrodingly. Also, I think cleaning contacts database every month is doable to keep functions manageable.

0 Upvotes
KEast2

Each month to keep it manageable 

1793aib
Participant

Daily / Weekly.

iamdejesus
Contributor

I try to clean out contacts anytime we send an email out. We tend to have a lot of changes happening in the area that I work in, so eliminating the bad emails right away is always best for me. 

0 Upvotes
LShovlin

We clean out our contacts as needed or as directed by our clients. 

0 Upvotes
GWestley

I refresh the database quarterly though will keep on top of it in real time re- bounce backs and unsubscribed emails

NDavis6
Participant

This is also the system I've used in the past. I'll export dead leads, contacts and users that haven't engaged on a monthly basis with a more robust clean-out on a quarterly basis. I will also segment the dead leads into different lists, export them and then attept to re-engage with them on later campaigns or through other avenues.

TKelly27

Quarterly 

0 Upvotes
TArias7

Annually. 

0 Upvotes
GDejesus
Participant

Every quarter to see which customers are still engaged and active. 

0 Upvotes
noaesther

I am trying now to create a regular cadence with my company, but at this time, there is no standard. My plan is to do it once quarterly.

0 Upvotes