HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How often do you clean your contacts database?

We’re in a data-driven era, where datasets are shared between marketing, sales, and customer service teams to increase organizational effectiveness and facilitate alignment. When you have high levels of inconsistent data, it’s not just one team taking the hit. It’s everyone. The entire company. The fallout from that bad data extends to every corner of your business that the data touches. With that in mind, how often do you currently audit and clean your contacts database? Once a month? Every quarter? Once a year? What does the process look like? Share your thoughts and current schedule.

1,604 Replies 1,604
LHill1
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

Quarterly or every six months!

0 Upvotes
AtteSuhonen

Once a month is perfect for our marketing, sales and customer service teams. As these functions overlap in many ways at our company (due to the service nature of our business and functional process sharing of tasks and duties by staff) most of the contacts information remains up to date and the database is easy to monitor and remains mostly clean.

0 Upvotes
PKarande

Hello, Ideally Cleaning the contacts and updating them quaterly is useful. 

0 Upvotes
DWilliams23
Participant

We continually review contacts and clean them up regularly. We thoroughly review the database quarterly.

0 Upvotes
ChrisEdel

Hello @JorieMunroe, i am just learning about contact management and CRM, i dont have any contact database at the moment but with everything i am learning here i think having a contact a clean contact database is the way to go and so i would be cleaning my contact database once every month and then to twice a month as the contact list grows

BJackson2
Participant

Once a quarter

0 Upvotes
Mohammad-Naias
Participant

I think quarterly should be ideal or when we are getting 20% unengagement.

0 Upvotes
KFreund
Member | Partner
Member | Partner

should be twice a year, but I think we do less.

0 Upvotes
IMHCRM

Trying for once a month to remove any erroneous data.

0 Upvotes
DylanEchter
Participant

I think it depends on the length of the sales cycle/frequency of use of the product. For faster sales cycles, once a quarter or even once a month could be great. For some products (thinking enterprise software here, as an example) where the sales cycle can be 120+ days, I've fallen back to once a year.

0 Upvotes
SRussell84

It varies depending on the business I'm in but as a general rule I aim for every 4-6 months.  We're kind of starting from scratch at the moment, doing an initial cleanse and then will be more disciplined moving forward. 

0 Upvotes
AGalatolo

I am pretty new with HubSpot, we still have to build it up, so what's the ideal use case, quarterly? The hubspot configuration of a friend of mine got  a deal with an existing contact even after one year. Better yearly?

0 Upvotes
NKelly29
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

Hello! We clean databases just prior to each quarter to ensure the next quarter's campaign focuses are ready to go with a strategic approach.

0 Upvotes
CHall3

quartely should be ideal

0 Upvotes
KLi5

1-3 months

0 Upvotes
anitap94

Not sure when to start cleaning the database; we got Hubspot 6 months ago and still figuring out how to do a lot of things.

0 Upvotes
SMoan
Contributor

We have just started a major cleanup of customer data from old systems. All data has been migrated into the HubSpot CRM now but a deep clean is needed. Hopefully we (marketing team) will be able to make use of it once it is done! That is the dream anyway. Actual actionable data... a girl can dream! 😅

0 Upvotes
ChristineCPos
Participant

We haven't had a clean database in a while, so that's a major task for us. I'm hoping some of the hubspot tools will help us maintain a cleaner database in the future, since we'll understand who's engaging with us and who isn't.

EMasiero
Participant

b2b business, i believe every 1 year or more, take time to get companies interact

0 Upvotes
NLauwers
Participant

Hi everyone!
We've just recently started using HubSpot but know from other tools that a clean database is the best way to start using CRM software. Hence, we've instated some ground rules regarding entries and already have had some cleansing rounds since we saw some inconsistencies emerging quite fast. Ideally, we would like to have quarterly reviews of our data. 

0 Upvotes
CThompson368

Hey! I believe cleaning contacts from the databases is an essential and tough process. It varies depending on the businesses and their goals. we clean our contacts every month by deduping and updaing on a daily basis when we get automated emails if people are no longer at comapnies.  

0 Upvotes