HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How often do you clean your contacts database?

We’re in a data-driven era, where datasets are shared between marketing, sales, and customer service teams to increase organizational effectiveness and facilitate alignment. When you have high levels of inconsistent data, it’s not just one team taking the hit. It’s everyone. The entire company. The fallout from that bad data extends to every corner of your business that the data touches. With that in mind, how often do you currently audit and clean your contacts database? Once a month? Every quarter? Once a year? What does the process look like? Share your thoughts and current schedule.

1,600 Replies 1,600
SKuhn
Participant

I think quartertly would be the best approach. I am not sure what the current schedule is here since I am new haha. 

0 Upvotes
BFendrich

I would say once a quater to once a year

0 Upvotes
XabTranche
Member | Partner
Member | Partner

Every quarter

0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We try to clean our contacts db every 6 months but sometimes due to schedules, it ends up being closer to 12 months. I scrub inactive members and merge lists where it makes sense.

0 Upvotes
MTelepneff

Due to numerous acquisitions, our contact database is undergoing a major overhaul and cleaning. This has been considered the pre-requisite to our initialization of HubSpot on the company level, especially tying into SalesForce, already deployed by sales. 

0 Upvotes
ajedavis

Quarterly

0 Upvotes
galia
Member | Partner
Member | Partner

Quarterly allows for regular cleaning without enough time for the database to get too messy.

0 Upvotes
YZavada

Not so often 🙂

0 Upvotes
tjmo

We try to clean our database every 3 to 6 months, but are not always successful. We have gotten in the habit now, however, or doing critical reviews with every customer touchpoint to quickly review accounts and update info and/or fill in field gaps.

0 Upvotes
RaachelM

We're only just setting up our contact database, but it's interesting to hear what everyone else does so we can set the standard moving forward, and keep it clean from the 'get-go'!

0 Upvotes
FNasso
Participant

Hi Jorie,

It depends on the business, we do it every 2 years.

0 Upvotes
KarenRae
Participant

Quarterly cleanup for those who are inactive for 6 months or more

0 Upvotes
BDillon

We currently clean data roughly every four months,

0 Upvotes
ASieber88

Quarterly!

0 Upvotes
CmmWatson
Participant

As a Marketer - It is necessary to have clean data . you know the old adage "garbage in equals garbage out" is true for any type of CRM information. Training users to input information properly is the first step in keeping a clean database - then auditing after each campaign is helpful to clean out garbage contact information. 

0 Upvotes
Dcroicy

I will starting in a month

0 Upvotes
NMPohl
Contributor

Right now we don't have a process for cleaning our contacts database. Once we have migrated our old database to Hubspot, we plan to clean it at least twice a year! 

0 Upvotes
CUrsery
Participant

Actually, I clean daily - every time I look at a contact's info, I make sure that info is up to date.  But, I also set aside time, weekly and monthly to do full check of the database.

MWilson2

Every 4-6 months seems like the sweet spot. 

0 Upvotes
ShreyanshFCMO
Participant | Gold Partner
Participant | Gold Partner

Hi @JorieMunroe 

I manage clients' portals and differs for each client. In general, I follow 
- Basic cleaning ( Unsubscribe, Bounce etc) - Every 15 days
- Deep Cleaning ( W/f, email ids ect) - Monthly.
I use tools like Coglide to clean contacts.

0 Upvotes
TeeDeeDubya

For me, it's like cleaning my house.  The longer we let it go, the harder it becomes, but it varies by how much mess a person (or team) can put up with.  Clutter drives me batty.  We clean ours quarterly as a general rule, but I have been known to go into a hyperfocus work mode in the past and do a little cleaning here and there.

0 Upvotes