HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Components of an Optimized Email

In order to convert more leads from your email marketing, you have to first get your readers to open your emails, and click through on them. This is why, as email marketers, we’re all but obsessed with our open rates and clickthrough rates -- because increasing those metrics gives us more opportunities to convert our readers into leads.

So how do you optimize your emails to ensure you’re audience is excited to open and interact with your marketing emails? What advice would you give?

For example, one of my favorite ways to optimize an email is through personalization! Show your audience that you understand their problems and that you are there to help them solve them.

In that way, personalization goes beyond addressing the email to the person’s first name. Leverage the demographic and behavioral data you have about your readers by including it in your emails.

You can use their company name, their location, their role at their company, the pages they’ve viewed on your site, items they’ve previously purchased, and so much more. Be creative! Mass marketing isn’t effective anymore. Find ways to show your readers that you’re customizing your message to them.

*To learn more about this, check out the Understanding Email in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

492 Replies 492
EWilson38

I take a mobile-first approach so I focus on optimizing emails for mobile reasers to help boost conversion. This includes developing responsive templates, compressing images, keeping preheader copy consise, making CTA buttons larger, and utilizing device detection for dark mode styles. 

BAllen18
Contributor

To optimize emails, I agree that personalization is important. However, just because you say my name does not mean that what you are offering me is valuable to me. So yes, gathering all the information you can, so that you can always add value, I believe with get more opens and click-throughs.

TomasFochNalle

I would say that the more info your team gathers about your public, the more likely it's you will be able to contact them with the intention of addressing those of their issues that your company can help them with. Therefore you will be able to elaborate content that is more relevant for your audience.

0 Upvotes
KJones0
Contributor

Make it personalized, KISS (keep it simple) and unique to your audience's needs and interests. 

0 Upvotes
GLivingston4
Participant

As unique and relatable to the person as possible, but also short. Long emails -- unless filled with captivating and value stories (and they really need to be awesome) -- just fall flat. 

lwelder
Contributor

Personalized, simple, and fun!

JCBenares
Participant

I always look at customers data and demographic to see what fits in customizing an email campaign. Using their pain points as a header can easily invite the person who gets hit. The purpose might be general and true for everybody, simply customize it a little like addressing their first name and acknowldgeing a post they did to sound more personal and not just another add campaign focused on mass marketing. 

GDunn1

Always make it personal, and make it fun! 

LSchreiber
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

Personalization and tell them what is in it for them - "new ways to save in 2023" "The products that will improve your productivity" 

CHadley

Personalized with rich text, yet short and simple.

0 Upvotes
sadirahmanbd
Contributor

heading and image and call to action

jranido

Keep it short and simple but personalized and engaging.

0 Upvotes
SGamit

It should be personalised and engaging. Also easy to reed in seconds and navigate. Be precise and informative 

0 Upvotes
MCastro84

Personalized and engaging.

0 Upvotes
KHornung1
Participant

Personalization to your specific persona

0 Upvotes
BMcRae
Participant

Add preheader text as an extension of your subject line to tease and entice more opens.

TGoon74

I agree that the personalization of emails is vital as it shows the customer that the company cares about them. Sending mass emails takes the sincerity out of the email and leads the customer to delete it right away. There is nothing more annoying than receiving constant emails from meaningless companies. 

EInnes

CTA buttons are a great way to engage and keep the content short and to the point. Do not distract from the end point with too much fluff. 

DAncient1
Participant

Avoid the temptation to jam too much into your email.
Know your email audience.
Make sure your email has value for your audience. Value can be educational, functional, entertaining, monetary, etc.

Personalize and use dynamic content whenever possible.

CTA Buttons, engaging subject line.

AhmedHasanHafiz
Participant

Make sure you address the person and get to the point right away.

0 Upvotes