HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Components of an Optimized Email

In order to convert more leads from your email marketing, you have to first get your readers to open your emails, and click through on them. This is why, as email marketers, we’re all but obsessed with our open rates and clickthrough rates -- because increasing those metrics gives us more opportunities to convert our readers into leads.

So how do you optimize your emails to ensure you’re audience is excited to open and interact with your marketing emails? What advice would you give?

For example, one of my favorite ways to optimize an email is through personalization! Show your audience that you understand their problems and that you are there to help them solve them.

In that way, personalization goes beyond addressing the email to the person’s first name. Leverage the demographic and behavioral data you have about your readers by including it in your emails.

You can use their company name, their location, their role at their company, the pages they’ve viewed on your site, items they’ve previously purchased, and so much more. Be creative! Mass marketing isn’t effective anymore. Find ways to show your readers that you’re customizing your message to them.

*To learn more about this, check out the Understanding Email in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

480 Replies 480
HIm

I totally agree with the personalization. If it is not personalized, I rarely open the email!  What do you think of using emoji in the title? Is it good to be personalized or bad to make the audience feel too casual? 

0 Upvotes
breadnbutter
Participant

I agree that there is so much power in personalization, but all I can think of is an employer I used to work for, whom I love very much, had the most despicable email etiquette. All his *very important* emails would go straight to spam, he would never clean or sort or use any of the categorization features, he had  10k unread messages, ranging from spam to extremely important messages at any given time. Cleaning up and organizing my correspondences is the way I always seek to optomize my electronic mail, so whatever features and training I can access to get organized and sorted in the most straight-forward way possible is going to be my go-to.

0 Upvotes
PTurner

Use a conversational tone that immediately tells the reader what's in it for them.

SMalcom

Make them visually appealing and to the point.

0 Upvotes
IPeretrutov
Participant

make it feel like you are sending one manually and use as much personalizaton as possible! 

DDAngeloJr
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

Create relevant emails that you think your audience would like to receive embedded with graphics and brand elements to let them know you are professional and puts effort into your emails, meaning you care about them.

KGuyton
Participant

In the past, I used AI to better personalize content for emails.  

0 Upvotes
JMavroudis

Short, sweet, targeted and visually pleasing. Simple wins the race for emails. Would you want to keep scrolling?

MorganV
Participant

Creative and engaging content to keep attention!

JCaceres
Participant

Intriguing subject lines, clear and delineated content/promos with captivating imagery that fits with the intent of the email.

0 Upvotes
JPantojaRico
Contributor

ii

0 Upvotes
Sheryll
Participant | Platinum Partner
Participant | Platinum Partner

I personally love receiving something with great visuals that go with short and direct content (that's the catchy part). But, a compelling subject line is the first hurdle you must always overcome for your audience to open. 

SamirAbdi

Cohesive e mail will make the difference in your customer experience. A catchy subject line to personalization based on your clients pain points and interests.

GJahan
Participant

In order to open & interact with marketing emails, I would suggest to write a catchy subject line with preview option. Personalization needs to be done and need to select the right email template for the approached segmented contacts. Need to set the right tone which is aligned with the brand and at the end CTA. 

0 Upvotes
vgraham

Segmentation and personalization is the name of the game.

0 Upvotes
RebeccaMenes
Contributor

Whatever your email subject line or preview text may be, I think it should be married to the SMS message that you send in tandem, for all those users where you have both an email address and a phone number. Starry internet handles this brilliantly for its new customers during onboarding, delivering a real "one-two" punch.

0 Upvotes
MZhao

personalize the email

0 Upvotes
BrunoPrados
Contributor

Segmentation and great copy. That's it!

0 Upvotes
AVara
Contributor

Clear subject lines and preview text to let the reader know what to expect if they open the email. Anything too gimmicky, and the reader may feel tricked or will be tricked resulting in a quick "delete from inbox." Icons do seem to be a way to engage readers as well. We live in a social media world where icons and emojis are ever present. Try experimenting with emojis in your subject line especially if you have a younger audience.

PrashantM
Participant

The best-optimized email I would like to read must have the following qualities

• Enticing subject line
  • Personalized salutation
  • Bulleted key pointers in email body
  • Clear call to action
  • Easy to unsubscribe option at the end of email
KStaten
Contributor

That email primer should be posted everywhere! 🙂 Thanks!