HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Components of an Optimized Email

In order to convert more leads from your email marketing, you have to first get your readers to open your emails, and click through on them. This is why, as email marketers, we’re all but obsessed with our open rates and clickthrough rates -- because increasing those metrics gives us more opportunities to convert our readers into leads.

So how do you optimize your emails to ensure you’re audience is excited to open and interact with your marketing emails? What advice would you give?

For example, one of my favorite ways to optimize an email is through personalization! Show your audience that you understand their problems and that you are there to help them solve them.

In that way, personalization goes beyond addressing the email to the person’s first name. Leverage the demographic and behavioral data you have about your readers by including it in your emails.

You can use their company name, their location, their role at their company, the pages they’ve viewed on your site, items they’ve previously purchased, and so much more. Be creative! Mass marketing isn’t effective anymore. Find ways to show your readers that you’re customizing your message to them.

*To learn more about this, check out the Understanding Email in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

479 Replies 479
ASharma1

Every optimized email have the following components: Subject Line,  Sender Name, Personalization, Body Image (we can ignore this also), Call-to-Action, Social Sharing Links, Unsubscribe Link

JohnAceti
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

Highly effective emails have copy that is clean, concise and easy to read. While not fully conversational, your emails shouldn't try to do to much or sound too fancy. Effective communication will cut through more than fancy vocabulary.

ALeatherman
Participant

I have found the best performing emails are ones that cut out the jargon/schpeal and get to the point of 'what's in it for you' - as well as providing just one clear CTA (which is hyperlinked on images and at least once elsewhere in the email)

MPassey
Participant | Platinum Partner
Participant | Platinum Partner

I like to use subjectline.com to make sure my subject line is optimized and useful.  Then I make sure the message iteslf is enticing and valuable to my prospect.  I am a big believer in segmenting my lists to make sure I am sending the right message to the right person.  

Philysgdy
Top Contributor | Partner
Top Contributor | Partner

Know your audience, talk to your customers to understand the importance of their position in their business. We did an exercise of talking to the back office of an organization and got an open rate of 86%. Yes, personalization is more than just their first name. A consistent tone and voice should be reflective of the brand. 

briyanga

Good info

0 Upvotes
vanessaELabs
Participant

For B2B companies, segmentation certainly helps as different industries may be more responsive than others and offer relevant content. Having complete records with their name and company goes a long way than getting an email that says, "Hi there."

AmirahZMJ

personalisation goes a long way!

KJohnson10

Making message clear

0 Upvotes
KJohnson10

use a relanvent subject line

HubSpotMember
Participant

Personalize it and keep it simple and precise! 🙂

LHill1
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

Make sure you know your audience! 

ERampling

Personalization by personna is great, as is keeping the body of the email consise with engaging visuals and a clear CTA

0 Upvotes
MJuscenko

I'd like to have A/B testing option, but it does not include in our plan. But I always pay attention to CTA, Subject LIne

MStrickland

Aside from personalization, keeping your message clear and concise is important to keep your readers attention. If things get too "wordy" people can potentially lose focus on the main message and completely miss the call to action. In addition, making your main points stand out in the email by using bold lettering or a different color than the main body text can help to increase your clickthrough rates.

JoanJEVNET
Member | Partner
Member | Partner

😀

beckm
Participant

Use preview text to create intrigue and drive opens. Don't skip testing - especially CTAs and cross-device.

CCHernandez08
Participant

Design the email for impact, make sure there is a CTA. Think what would success look like? Hopefully, the answer isn't simply the reader read it, but that they took a measurable step toward becoming a customer. 

KLi5

Keep the subject relevent and engaging.

RSands

yes

0 Upvotes