HubSpot Ideas

Teun

resize_image_url, file manager and WebP format

Currently, all major browsers support the WebP format. Which is a great format performance-wise. Now I know that HubSpot converts other formats to WebP serverside, but we should expect users to upload the WebP format as well.

One of the most powerful HubL functions is the 'resize_image_url' function, which allows you to resize the served image without having the client resize the image themselves (which is great, because clients never do this 😜).

HubSpot also offers the option to clone, crop and resize images, which is a great feature of the file manager.

The problem: The WebP format does not work with the 'resize_image_url', also, passing the name, width and height in the image URL does not seem to resize the image at all. So this is a major issue performance-wise. Furthermore, it currently is not possible to clone and resize a WebP image from the file manager.

The solution: Make sure that the 'resize_image_url' and the file manager functionalities also work with the WebP format.

12 Replies
Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

💯

Teun
Recognized Expert | Diamond Partner

Also, HubSpot allows you to change the size and crop images through the file manager, however, this doesn't work with WebP images either. So this issue is not limited to the 'resize_image_url' function.

danmoyle

Seems like a very helpful idea for devs and others. +1 here! 

erg1000

That is a very important feature for modern web, please add!

salazar
Member | Platinum Partner

✌️🙌🏼

RobHarris
Participant | Platinum Partner

Any speed related issue should be expedited.
+1 from me

HGrzesiek3

+1

Anton
Recognized Expert

We need this! +1

timmfin
HubSpot Employee

I peeked at this and I think at least 2 out of the 3 issues mentioned here are broken (unless I'm missing something).

Example of `resize_image_url(webp_src, 0, 0, 500)` working:

code.jpgpreview.jpgthumbnail.jpg

And I verified that the "crop" functionality in the file manager also worked on that image. However, I did replicate when trying to use file manager to resize that WebP image.

Hopefully this helps. I'll pass on the issue with busted WebP resize. And if there is something I'm missing or a different issue with WebP please let me know so I can help!

Teun
Recognized Expert | Diamond Partner

Hi @timmfin ,

It does seem that the 'resize_image_url' function is generating the correct links now! So this might have been fixed after I posted this 🙂

timmfin
HubSpot Employee

Sweet!

200w.gif

(We're looking into the last file manager resize issue)

Jnix284

@mzweng looks like changes are underway for webP and resize_image_url