HubSpot Ideas

jane2

report on average sales cycle length

There's currently no way to create dashboard reports for looking at the average sales cycle length.

'Time to close' doesn't do it, because that uses all close dates, not just dates for sales that have actually closed.

The nearest you can get is displaying deal created date alongside the date the deal entered the current deal stage 'order received' (in our case)... but that's not much use.

This must be a common requirement, particularly for SaaS companies. 

Having to export deals and do a manual workaround is a pain.

14 Replies
JackTF

Hi Jane, did you ever get to the bottom of this? Or are you still having to export deals and doing a manual workaround?

brittanyCP1
Contributor

YESSS! This would be so helpful. We also want to see a running average for other things like demos booked, demos completed, etc. to see if we are below or above average. I posted the idea here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Averages-In-Reporting/idi-p/337499

OfferZenBrett
Participant

Can't believe this isn't at standard "out of the box" 

Haa anyone got a solution? 

brittanyCP1
Contributor

The only workaround solution is to pull a report for a list of contacts, export those contacts, throw them into excel, and grab the averages that way.

For example, we wanted to see on average how long it took someone to book a consult call. We made a Lifecycle stage report of everyone who went into the Sales Qualified Lead Stage and the date that activity happened, and we also added create date. I exported that data, and we were able to find our average that way.

It's mind-blowing that software that tracks all of these dates, and can pull workaround reports, can't track this. At least, giving us a report that shows how long it takes between each Lifecycle Stage or Lead Status.

I hope that helps. 🙂

davidpan
Participant

@jane2 

I'm not sure if it helps but I use the deal property "Days to Close."

Then I filter the report by only ones that reach the "closed won" stage. If it helps, you could also filter by the properties, "deal create date" and "deal close date."

For our company, we also have different services which I filtered on so I can see the sales cycle for each service. 

The premise is that we only create a deal when it's a SQL. If it isn't, then it remains in the MQL stage. So our sales cycle literally starts on "deal create date," and ends on "deal close date.

Hope this helps!

Nickcull
HubSpot Employee

Here's the solution I came up with:

• Create a calculated property that measures time between create date and close date (I called this property "Time to close")
  • Create a custom report using a KPI style report
    • Add the "Time to close" property as your value
    • Change your aggregation from Sum to Average

And... Ta-da! You could easily add a filter to this report to show average time to close by rep or by product/service 🙂 

DylanWickliffe
Member | Elite Partner

I was able to calculate my average sales cycle length by using the "Days to Close" property. 

1. Create a single-object report (deals)
2. Date > Deal Stage, Close Date, Days to Close
3. Filters > Close Date is (enter date range you want to report on) & Deal Stage is All Closed Won
4. Visualization > Displaying: Close Date & Measured by: Days to Close (use the drop down arrow to set to 'average')
5. Frequency > Yearly
6. Personal preference, but I'm doing a bar graph to compare average days to close from last year to this year so far.

sk0827
Participant

Hi @DylanWickliffe  this is amazing and so helpful! I am finding that the days to close average isnt calculating right, its showing 5.3 days when our average is like 30-40 days.  I might be doing something wrong? I feel like saying Deal stage is maybe the issue what would be causing it to show a faster closing date than the reality?

alexfromonsched

I agree, would be great to have this feature. Having a property for that will be perfect - so we can pull the data into Data Studio.

CBoon
Participant

@DylanWickliffe you rock!  HSpot CRM is still trash. 

DylanWickliffe
Member | Elite Partner

@CBoon I strongly disagree. Haha. But thank you for the kind words.

shanedaddio
Member | Diamond Partner

@DylanWickliffe, thankyou 👍 This is a big help. 

JMoney

You can create a calclated deal property: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/create-calculation-properties

Which is a 'Calculation' Field Type:

JMoney_0-1678949291451.png

and the calculated property type is 'Time between' your open and close dates

and use 'Deal stage' as your condition.

JMoney_1-1678949335873.png

You can then use this in your custom dashboards.

HHunt1

We have a sales pipeline for our existing customers, and we really need to know the average time between a customer's (deal's) start date property and 'today', not another date property such as close date. 

We have several 'time between' reports, which work fine, but they only calculate the average time between two dates. This works for customers (deals) that have signed up with us and then left, but it doesn't account for existing customers. 

We need to know the average time our existing customers have been with us, and date property that looks at 'today' rather than a date picker would solve this.