I am looking for assistance with a report we are using for an implementation pipeline. I set it up with "correct" filters to see the # of tickets that entered certain stages in the last 30 days. This means if the tickets EVER went into those specified stages, even if they have moved out. Example being, a ticket went into the Suspended Status a week ago, but was moved to Live. We still want to see that ticket being show in the report as having been entered the Suspended Stage at some point in the last 30 days. After talking with support, it seems the filters would be correct in theory, but it still only just shows tickets that in are those stages currently. Support mentioned this would be something along the lines of static report. I find this type of report to be extremely useful, especially to a larger audience, when trying to identify issues, delays, etc. It is also a good indicator of performance depending on how a pipeline would be setup.