HubSpot Ideas

convert active to static list

Add ability to convert an active list to a static list - this would allow for a list used for a targeted email to then be converted so new contacts could not be added, creating a snapshot in time.

Most lists are used multiple times, but some event invites are only used once - the problem with keeping them active is not that the list stays current, but that many "new" contacts are automatically enrolled in numerous lists because they meet the criteria of multiple lists previously used.

Deleting the list is not a viable solution, as the email sends are missing the info to link back to.

Alternatively, allow the ability to archive an active list so that no new contacts are added once archived.

41 Replies
Smaure

Would also find this functionality very useful, as sometimes you need an active list for a while ( event campaign for example, when new leads are coming in) but at a point you cannot keep adding contacts to it for example in the case of an event, when the event is over. Being able to convert this list to a static one would solve this problem. 

kimberkol
Participant

This feature would be very helpful

markandrew19

Agreed. The ability to convert an active list to a static one would be great, but then I guess it would limit your opportunity to upsell us on the next subscription plan...

Msyvrais
Key Advisor

cleaning up 600 + active lists that you really need static (for historical purposes) 3 days in and nowhere near done... Tried to make a video to show how time-consuming this is but can't upload it.  Really could use the ability to convert from active to static.

BB1
Top Contributor

Hi All! I Thanks @Anonymous 

I just tried and it is really simple, a few clicks, as follows.

In the list click - Options > Clone > Change Active list to Static List > (Change in the name Cloned to static) > Save.

So that is 4+ clicks.

Similar to what @birdman mentioned, the issue is it will have a new URL and List ID so for my use case, I want to replace the Active list with the new static list in my other lists. So I click on the Used in number to the right of the old list, and need to go into each list and change the list condition from the Active to the Static one... That can be an easy task or huge, depending on how many dependancies there are for that list. Only then would I be able to delete the old list.

Also there is the issue @Msyvrais pointed out, that there is no way to see what the criteria were.

@ReneePunzi It does seem that it would make Hubspot work much faster for us if we have many lists which are active changed to be static.

@david-cook-ome no need to make a filter to find whoever is a member of the active group, as above. Unless you want to keep the Active list and are just making the Static list in order to add or remove people from it.

Here is a workaround for that. You can add a field called "List trigger", and add a condition in your Active list that says Or Contact has "List trigger" has ever been equal to any of {listID} and then you set that field with that value so the contact will be added to the Active list. You can do the same to exclude anyone from the list, just ADD a condition "has never been equal to any"...

RBuchle
Member | Partner

Would love this feature to be able to "archive" some previous active lists (for example after CRM clean-up or events, etc.)

CBN
Top Contributor

I can only cry again about the lack of very basic features.

Yes - we also want to have the ability to convert an active list into a static list or at least be able to create a snapshot of it current members.

NooraOksa

Hey you can actually do this now! Inside your active list, choose Actions and then Clone. Then you can clone the list as a static list.

Actions >> CloneActions >> Clone

birdman
Contributor
That is not the same.. as the list identifier will change. Cloning is not the same as converting.
ARose
Participant

YES PLEASE! I require this on a monthly basis.

emailchaser

Yep - created a static list instead of a dynamic one....twice.  would really be helpful if a list could be converted from one to another.  thanks!

webmikepdx
Participant

C'mon Hubspot, how hard can this be? We've reached our maximum number of Active lists. If you are going to cap the number of Active lists, then make converting to static easy. It would save CPU for you. For us, this would be very useful so we can convert without losing the connection of these lists to workflows, other lists, etc, and we can still see the criteria used initially, as others have noted.

EricaSmith
Contributor

This would be amazing!  We have multiple client events each year.  Changing the list to a static one after the event is over would allow us to freeze the list and know who was invited.  Just found a list that a previous employee created that was for a 2021 event that has been adding everyone we have added to the database since the event happened. 

Msyvrais
Key Advisor

Why isn't this even under considerations after 3 years, 97 upvotes and 33 comments 😐 there is clearly a need

ARose
Participant

Yes! Let's do this already!

AndresBustos
HubSpot Product Team

Hi folks,

Thank you so much for upvoting this idea. I'm happy to announce that the ability to convert an active list to a static list is now available for all portals. When you now convert an active list to a static list, all your references as well as the list ID will remain the same. 

To convert an active list to static go to any List > Actions > Convert to Static.

convert to static.png

Thank you again for your help pushing ideas forward.

Andres Bustos- Product Manager

ReneePunzi

Thank you for the holiday gift! 
I look forward to converting an active lists to a static lists!

CBN
Top Contributor

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated ...

Anything we can do to get turn around time for no-brainers like these through your molasse @AndresBustos ?

birdman
Contributor

Happy to see this got picked up. BTW, I was the original requester of this idea, not Anonymous 😉

CBN
Top Contributor

Thank you for the great idea @birdman 👏👏👏👏