HubSpot Ideas

KeeganSmith87

Workflow Descriptions

I really wish there was a way for us to have descriptions for EVERY workflow type, not just contact workflows. As I look to expand the Admin userbase for our instance, I'm finding it incredibly cumbersome and very time-consuming to have to continually explain to a new user the purpose of one of our 50+ workflows, what the intent was, who made it and why, etc. A description will also allow our company to have continuity with constant personnel changes coming into and out of our system and company.

PLEASE roll this out ASAP to all workflow types.

HubSpot-Updates
Status aktualisiert zu: Delivered
October 14, 2022 10:49 AM

Hi, Everyone,

The new Workflows Description features for all workflow types were released Monday, 10/10/22! Please let us know if you have any additional feedback for Workflow Descriptions.

Thank you,

Jess

Status aktualisiert zu: In Planning
September 21, 2022 12:41 PM

Hi, Everyone, 

I am Jess, a product manager on HubSpot's Automations team. I want to thank all of you for providing feedback on this topic. I am happy to share that our team is actively working on adding descriptions for all workflow types. Also, descriptions will be visible on the workflows Index page as column (as well as in the Export), and on the workflow Details page. These updates should be available sometime in Q4 2022. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions. I will update the status of this idea as soon as the new features are ready!

Thanks again,

Jess

14 Kommentare
AGardner
Teilnehmer/-in

I agree to this 100%! I find myself presenting automation series to other teams that have no idea how workflows work and prefer high level explanations. Having a workflow description for every type of workflow will still allow me to walk them through the flows so they can fully understand the processes, while having a high level description to show them in real time without having to get into the weeds.

Please add this!!!

lumenhilty
Mitglied

Agree - this is an easy win! 

AlexandreSch
Teilnehmer/-in

hello!

It would be great to have a field where we could explain what the workflow is all about, especially when we have a lot of very complicated ones. 

vanessahunt
Stratege/Strategin | Platinum Partner

Totally agree. I'm just creating a new Deal Worflow for a client, and hadn't realised that only Contact Workflows only allow you to add a Description! That's a bit crazy and not very consistent as a user experience 😜

I would also like to be able to display that Description as a column in the Workflow View, so it's much easier to interpret the impact one Workflow may have on another. 

Please can we add this VERY soon, HubSpot! 🙏🏻

LMaldonado
Teilnehmer/-in

Totally agree. Is simple like a coding best practice since the workflows are becoming each time more powerfulls and complex. I've already seen several ones build a year or two in the past, nobody knows who created it and what it does, it can't be turned off and if one must change anything it might take several minutes or hours to understand. 

EParzek
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Yes! Being able to comment AND add a description to every type of workflow is essential. Having just taken a MOPs role where nothing much from 3-4 predecessors was documented has been quite the process of discovery and reverse engineering and I want to leave clues for future me as to what I was thinking 🙂

mamersfoort
Teilnehmer/-in

100% Agree. Why have this arbitratry limitation to make it avaialble only for contact based workflows. Also the display of added descriptions could be improved. Right now the window is too small to read the description comfortably for longewr stories.

wendykeneipp
Teilnehmer/-in | Elite Partner

Yes, agreed! We document WFs in Asana which is not convenient, but better than having to open and study each one. As people rotate through companies, it's very important to have documentation.  

DanFromCF
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

100% agree with this idea and also what @mamersfoort said about the window being too small. And to add to that, it's too hard to find the descriptions in the first place. It should be displayed in the details view so that if somebody new pulls it up, they can see right away what the workflow's purpose is. 

PAtlan
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

This sounds so self evident - having it rolled out ONLY to contact workflows seems more work than having it for everything :-

Also, a bit of love on the UX side: bigger window, more prominent display... Comments don't do half the work that a good documentation would do.

Status aktualisiert zu: In Planning
JHartnagle
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hi, Everyone, 

I am Jess, a product manager on HubSpot's Automations team. I want to thank all of you for providing feedback on this topic. I am happy to share that our team is actively working on adding descriptions for all workflow types. Also, descriptions will be visible on the workflows Index page as column (as well as in the Export), and on the workflow Details page. These updates should be available sometime in Q4 2022. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions. I will update the status of this idea as soon as the new features are ready!

Thanks again,

Jess

PAtlan
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Great news, @JHartnagle ! It actually seems like - for a brief moment - that feature was activated (in beta) on my account. I could see descriptions in all workflows and in the Index page ... and then poof! it disappeared. Glad to see i was not mistaken.

That said, if there IS a beta - i'd love to be a part of it!

Paul.

Status aktualisiert zu: Delivered
JHartnagle
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hi, Everyone,

The new Workflows Description features for all workflow types were released Monday, 10/10/22! Please let us know if you have any additional feedback for Workflow Descriptions.

Thank you,

Jess

mamersfoort
Teilnehmer/-in
Dear Jess,

Thanks for the update. This is a great improvement.

However I am still missing one feauture. For some reason it does not seem possible to add a comment to the deal trigger criterium.

[cid:b89afa87-1816-4b51-a6ee-98130aa2ab8a]

This woulde still be useful to add some explantion to more complex deal trigger criteria ...

Thanks for your consideration.

Martin